Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AFCI circuit is tripping another AFCI

Ok I have two different AFCI circuits. When I use a sewing maching in the dinining room in which has its own switches and recepticles and own AFCI breaker; then it trips the living room recepticles in which are on a seperate AFCI breaker but the sewing machine and dining room are still working but caused the living room breaker to trip when I press the pedal on the sewing machine?

nicholaspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,188

Perhaps the panel is mislabeled? Does the living room go off when you flip the breaker the directory says it is?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #3

No, I am in the dinning room and use a vacumm or sewing machine and the living room recepticles go out but the light in the dinning room and recepticles / vacumm and sewing machine keep working?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Perhaps the living room AFCI breaker is weak and a normal heat buildup from the dining room is causing to trip.

If they are the same amperage, you may be able to flip the service disconnect off (de-energize the house), and swap the AFCIs to test.

Seems like a long shot, but it's the only thing that comes to mind.
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #5

OK when I went into the panel they had the grounds together behind the screw along the bus bar. Basically the grounds were paired together. They are each on a twenty amp breaker and the vacumm draws 12 amps and the sewing machine has about 4amps and I dont know how much the chandelier draws but the sewing machine or vacumm will trip it? I put the grounds behind there own screw in the panel and everything worked?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

An AFCI should have two wires connected to it coming from the circuit it is supporting. That would mean the white and black wire for a romex cable would be connected to the breaker. The breaker will have a wire that is attached to the neutral bar. You can only have one white wire under a screw in the neutral bar.
The bare ground wires coming into the panel can be paired if needed on the ground bar or neutral bar depending if this is sub panel or a main panel.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #7

Its a main panel and the ARC fault is properly wired with the hot and neg. but the grounds were paired but I dont know if the living and dinning were paired, I just started seperating the grounds to see if that may have been it. I also just posted another problem I was having in the kitchen in which may have also added to the problem. I just wish there was a way to easily trouble shoot these ARC faults. I seen that Siemens has a trouble shooting device but looks more complicated than its worth. Is there somthing out there that breaks down a simple process for elimination for ARC faults?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,188

The grounds you tightened should have nothing to do with the proper operation of a circuit. They should only carry current in the event of a fault or short circuit.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #9

It could also be that somebody has wired some switched receptacles by tapping the hot wire of one circuit and the neutral of another circuit. This will cause a load to activate the eqeuipment ground fault protection of both AFCI circuit breakers.

The first time that I installed AFCI circuit breakers I had to run cables from the basement to the attic to correct the matter that the front hallway chandelier was supplied by tapping a hot wire on the first floor and a neutral on the second floor.

mc5w is offline   Reply With Quote