Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

Share |

AFCI Arc Fault Circuit Interruption Breaker

I have just had a whole house Generec Generator 17KW installed. I noticed in the manual that new code is AFCI have to replace standard breakers on all circuits that serve bedrooms.

Exactly what are AFCI breakers. Can I just remove the standard breaker and replace them with AFCI on each one that controlls outlets and lights in all my bedrooms.

Are there any special thing I need to know about installing AFCI breakers?

My house is not new construction and when it was built it was done according to the electrical code in effect at that time.

Tom

TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Not worth the hassle. Only time that you would place them in your current home, is if you have recently made major changes to the electrical system. If you have not made changes to a particular branch circuit that serves living rm, bedrooms, den, you do not need to install them due to you would be grandfathered in.

Now, if your city/village says that since you recently installed the genset and they now say you have to bring it to current standards, be ready to shell out some big bucks at around $50 per AFCI.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

My County is not that strick. I just wanted to know if I need to do this for safety measure.

Also the manual says a ground rod has to be installed and grounded to the generator. I asked the electrician about that and he said it was not necessary as they went one step further and grounded it with wiring from the breaker box which is grounded through the meter center. Is that correct or do I need to install a seperate 8 foot brass rod and wire it to the generator?

Thanks
TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

AFCIs are hardly a new requirement - in my area they've been required for bedroom circuits since at least 2005. Under current (pardon the pun) code, I think they're required for all circuits serving occupied areas of the house.

I'm glad I only had to buy two of them. They're about ten times the cost of regular breakers.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

TGMcAllie, look at sections 250 & 445 of the NEC. You can look at it at online at nfpa.org.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

You don't say how old the house is, so that could cause issues if you change to AFCi breakers.
Unless the county requires you to update to current code when you installed the genset, I would not install them.