Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
Ward vs. Gatti Trilogy

Rewards Points: 10

Advice/Tips on running down walls

I need any advice or tips on running an ethernet cable from an attic to a first floor through the walls. This to me seems the most simplest way rather than trying to find the right spot to drill to get to the 2nd floor then the next right spot to get to the 1st floor all in positions that arent noticeable. I also however realize that insulation is an electricians nightmare. Does anyone have any tricks they could share before I undertake this task.

Thanks for any advice or tips!

Sean Kibler

boxer1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 504

Your going to have to find a way to drill from the second to the first floor, unless you have a 9 foot drill bit:D . I usually try to go for a closet on the second floor, cut an access panel out of the back of the closet to drill on down. Then it's just a matter of fishing the wires from the attic into the closet and then from the closet down to the hole (or box or whatever)for the wire's final resting place. Insulation won't be a problem if you can stay on an interior wall, but keep in mind some bathrooms are insulated all around, so try to steer clear of that also.

Side note: There's no chance of coming up from the basement 'eh??

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Ward vs. Gatti Trilogy

Rewards Points: 10

Side note: There's no chance of coming up from the basement 'eh??[/quote]

No, there is no option for the basement, Im wiring a computer from the attic all he way to the 1st floor. I am just considering it actually against buying a better wireless card. I am just getting into carpentry so I dont know too much about the framework of my house plus its old anyway. I was hoping I could avoid alot of drilling but it sounds like what I had in mind isnt going to work. We have split up alot of phone lines though so maybe I can use those to get at least from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor and cut out most of the problem. Thanks for the advice too I wont have to deal with the bathroom and that is nice to keep in mind thanks for the info.

Sean
boxer1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote