Advice Needed For Basement Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice needed for Basement Wiring

Hi Everyone,

So I have put together a diagram for wiring my basement (leaving out AV/cable/phone, which I will worry about afterward). I have never done any wiring before so I am hoping to get some advice/feedback. I apologize in advance if my terminology is a bit off - still learning!

There are 7 circuits in total, I will briefly describe each:

Blue - 1 switch for 4 potlights, 4 double outlets which will be used for computer/office equipment, and possibly a treadmill in the future.

Pink - 4 double outlets for TV/Video/Video Game/Stereo/Lamps - is this reasonable?

Orange - 1 dedicated outlet for the keg fridge mounted inside the bar

Green - 1 switch in lounge, plus 1 light fixture and 1 double outlet PLUS 1 double outlet in bathroom (with circuit breaker), a fan, and a potlight all linked to a 3-button switch

Red - 1 dedicated outlet for the sauna

Purple - 5 potlights and 1 other light on a triple switch, 3 double outlets, and another switch at the top of the stairs connect to the first 3 potlights

Brown - 3 double outlets and 2 overhead lights connected to a switch

I am hoping for some advice on how I have this set up, and also if you think I am putting too much on 1 circuit. I'm not positive I have 7 spots open on my box either - it might only be 6, so any advice on things I can combine would also be appreciated

Thanks in advance everyone!
Attached Images

Advertisement

hazey313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,912

Without knowing your location it makes it hard to quote the appropriate codes.

With that said, in the US under the NEC the bathroom receptacle would need to be a 20 amp circuit. You can share that circuit with the bathroom lights and fan if it only serves that one bathroom. No loads outside the bathroom allowed.

I would add a separate 20 amp circuit for the treadmill.

AFCI protection is called for under the 08 NEC.

Many prefer to keep the lighting and receptacles on different circuits. No requirement, just a preference.

Unfinished area receptacles require GFI protection.

Advertisement

hazey313 (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips, and I'm in Canada

Still browsing through the code, which can get complicated and is why I am also posting on here for some additional advice,

cheers
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Sounds like you may have some overkill in your cicruits but that is not a bad thing.

Lights are done on there own circuit most of the time but this is not a code requirment. If you did this you can put up to 12 lights on a circuit as long as you don't go over 1800W.

If your plug in your mechancial room is within 5 feet of the tub you will need to use a GFI.

Other then that nothing jumps out to me that is wrong.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
hazey313 (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

perfect, thanks Darren,

Is it true that I can't have the light wired for my bar on the same circuit as the bathroom (ie. does the bathroom need to run all on its own circuit?)

If so, I will just move it over to the TV/Stereo circuit
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

There is no requirement that the bathroom be on a separte circuit, that is a NEC requirement. The bathroom plug, light, and fan can be on one of your regular circuits as long as you don't go over the 12 outlets per cicruit rule.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
hazey313 (10-04-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #7

The lighting ccts can have more than 12, just as along the fixtures added up will not be more than 1440 watts, which is 80% of 1800 watts. (say pot lights are rated at a 75w bulb maximum.) Leave the treadmill off the office/tv ccts because it may give out interference. When you're talking switches, the bathroom would be called a '3 gang', being that theres 3 switches. I would run the shower potloight (if that's what it is) off the load side of the GFCI receptacle, for safety reasons.

Advertisement

jasonj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonj For This Useful Post:
hazey313 (10-05-2010)