Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice on moving electrical junction box

I'm putting up a partition wall in the basement. After I removed the panels from the drop ceiling I discovered a junction box on a joist directly in the path of where the wall is going to go.

There are two wires going into the box from one direction, and three from the opposite direction (perpendicular to the wall, as is the joist). There's enough wiggle room to move the box upwards a few inches, so at least it wouldn't be in the way of the top plate (the box currently protrudes about an inch below the joist). This does not seem like a good idea, as the box would be pretty inaccessible once the wall is there. Seems likely this would this be against code as well, but I don't really know.

There is not enough wiggle room in the wiring to move the box to either side.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. This was my free long weekend to put in the wall without distractions, but now I'm stalled.

Thanks,
Jerry

jerrymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Junction boxes cannot be hidden, so whatever you do has to be accessible. To get it flush with the joist, you'll have to either refeed the box with new, longer wires from wherever they originate, or put in several junction boxes with longer wires joining them. If you have a suspended ceiling, the wiring above is considered accessible. Otherwise you'll have to have blank plates or use your ceiling boxes for lights/fans as the boxes. Some jurisdictions will also allow remodel can light boxes to be used for junctions provided the box is big enough.

Last edited by iminaquagmire; 02-20-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

If it look like this:

||
===
(||)
||

(sorry, the ||'s are all supposed to line up vertically, hopefully this conveys the idea)

where || is the new wall, === is the joist, and (||) is the junction box on the joist above the wall, if the junction box is, say, 2 inches up from the bottom of the joist, with the wall attached to the bottom of the joist, is that considered accessible? To the left of the wall is drop ceiling, with about 5 inches of space between the bottoms of the joists and the drop ceiling.

Thanks,
Jerry
jerrymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

You have 2 choices.
Move the wall 3 inches either way, or move the jbox.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Simply move the existing box back so it misses the new wall. If all the wires won't be long enough, then mount another junction box on the other side of the new wall, pull those wires back, and install a short jumper wire between `em.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote