Advice - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Advice


Hey fella's I'm new here and after some advice on wiring, I'm helping a friend (Sam) wire his new house tomorrow which we have just installed and neither of us have a clue as to what wire does what! We have a big black one that sticks out of the ground and Sam got a shock off of it when he touched the metal inside it but I didn't get one when I touched it after he did (we came to the conclusion that he was standing in a puddle and I wasn't) and we also have some wire from inside old extension cords which we are going to use for the lights and power points.

Our plan is to wrap the extension cord cables around the metal on the black wire which sticks out of the ground (we won't be standing in a puddle this time!) and put the other end into the light fittings, my question is what colour (by regulation) does a light need to have (if any) and how many strands of copper does it take to make a light go? We are planning on putting 2-3 strands of copper per wire into each light fitting that way saving on our overall capital cost.

Cheers, any other advice is well needed.

Advertisement

No Limits is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Advice


New Zealand ?
Wire in the ground? From what ?

This almost seems like a joke
If it isn't please explain why/what you are doing before this is deleted as a joke

No-one here uses extension cords to wire a house

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Advice


Hey Dave. I called our town coucil over the phone and apparently the black cable is a "230v Mains Cable" and it comes straight from a transformer, I don't know if that means anything to any of you electricians out there but it certainly doesn't ring any bells in my head.

We are going to use extension cord cable because a license is needed over here to purchase cable from a supplier.

Sam came up with a new idea of cutting the cores out of the 230v Mains Cable and connecting them all to one, this way we will have about 5 or 6 copper cores to wrap our extension cord cable around, will this be more efficient ie cheaper in the long run?

Cheers
No Limits is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Advice


Here the Main cable MUST go to a meter 1st, as we are charged for power
Maybe you have a meter near the transformer

After the meter wiring then goes to a breaker panel
From the breaker panel smaller gauge wires (depending upon the size of the breaker) are run to outlets, lights etc

There isn't any comaprison to gauge wire & # of strands that I know of
Our wire for the most part is solid core

What about insulation on this wire?

Here we have 1 hot, 1 neutral (white), & a ground wire (bare) all encapsulated in plastic insulation as a single cable
The hot & neutral are also individually coated in insulation 1st
Scuba_Dave is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Member
 
300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 630
Rewards Points: 500
Post

Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by No Limits View Post
We have a big black one that sticks out of the ground and Sam got a shock off of it when he touched the metal inside it but I didn't get one when I touched it after he did (we came to the conclusion that he was standing in a puddle and I wasn't).
One of you or both are going to end up being DEAD! Hire an electrician that knows what he is doing PLEASE..
300zx is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Advice


Ah yes...forgot to mention
That 240v line could have easily killed you
Scuba_Dave is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Advice


I'm usually the last person to advocate hiring a pro on this site, but you're in way over your head. If you need help identifying the service cables you stand no chance of safely or correctly wiring that house. Please...Understand that doing a job like this is complex and is better left to those that have a strong understanding of the fundamentals, the code and general electrical safety.
Termite is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Advice


Obvious fradulent post.


Don't be so obvious next time.



And to the knuckleheads that responded, don't be so gullible
220/221 is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Advice


IP is from New Zealand......
Scuba_Dave is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Advice


There are trolls in New Zealand

He is bored, trying to stir something up.
220/221 is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Advice


Hey guys a few advances in the plan, we decided to dig the cable up to it's source (which ended up being directly under a power line) and pull it out to stop us from getting shocks when we split the copper cores. We used a JCB to pull the cable out from under the power line and a big arc like a lightening strike happened and now it's safe to touch the cable. We've started stripping the copper back from the black cable now and it seems to be going fine, the only problem we have now is how do we go about getting power back to the house?

Is there a quick fix way of re-terminating it back under the powerline?
No Limits is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by No Limits View Post
Hey guys a few advances in the plan, we decided to dig the cable up to it's source (which ended up being directly under a power line) and pull it out to stop us from getting shocks when we split the copper cores. We used a JCB to pull the cable out from under the power line and a big arc like a lightening strike happened and now it's safe to touch the cable. We've started stripping the copper back from the black cable now and it seems to be going fine, the only problem we have now is how do we go about getting power back to the house?

Is there a quick fix way of re-terminating it back under the powerline?
I hate to be rude in here but the way you doing you just destory the POCO underground cable and you describe like big arc that is useally is a good short ciruit and I hate to use this word and very loose in here but you are BONEHEAD my Freind live in New Zealand and I know he used work for the POCO and he told me plenty about it.

Expect a POCO fault repair crew comming out to fix your mess there you should done first place is call your POCO to located the cable and mark it out for you.

Now to get the power back by gosh bloody Heck you will have to call the electrician in your area the code is very strict with that.

And if you have triphase supply you are dealing both 240 and 400 volts there { no bullcrap at all on this one btw it the same with French voltage level so I am used to it }

I am pretty sure that is SWA cable and it can be pain in butt to resplice it espcally once you yank it out with your JCB backhoe digger tractour IMO the underground cable is pretty much done for it.


Merci, Marc


P.S. MODS if you want to edit it let me know in PM asap otherwise leave it and this is very serious message to the OP sorry for being harsh but I have good reason to do this.
frenchelectrican is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Advice


I'm closing this thread not due to the responses by responsible posters but due to the overwhelming lack of common sense being exhibited by the original poster. I simply do not believe that this is serious and I don't care to have my time wasted, nor do the other helpful and productive members of this forum.

I fail to believe that anybody is unintelligent enough to do the things that have been described, and if you actually are, we at DIY Chatroom are not going to help you and your friend kill yourselves by messing with line voltage or damage/modify the POCO's system.

Advertisement

Termite is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drywall ceiling: Water Damage, looking for advice dawho1 Building & Construction 11 09-13-2010 11:05 AM
Electrical Advice Caution!!! Mike Swearingen Electrical 12 03-05-2008 12:51 PM
I need advice on a flat roof Krissy Roofing/Siding 10 12-27-2007 02:55 PM
Help for painting trim and doors: We need your advice! AaronandSteph Painting 2 01-01-2007 11:16 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts