Adjusting My Garage Door Opener's UPWARD Travel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Adjusting My Garage Door Opener's UPWARD Travel

My garage door goes up all the way and then slides back down about 5 inches. This was fine when I had my Explorer, but now that I have an Expedition, it is physically impossible to pull into my garage. Is there a way I can adjust it myself without having to pay someone?

I created a flickr photoset so you guys can see the pictures of what the door is doing and pictures of the GDO. I don't know anything about this stuff, but I'm hoping random strangers on the internet can help me

If you can, thanks a lot! I'd rather not pay someone if it's something simple. It looks like a shoddy install (nails and such) from the install, but it was like that when I purchased it. Also, the first pic is blurry, but you can definitely see what the problem is. If you missed the first link to the gallery, here's another one.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Advertisement

cbenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

There should be an adjustment screw on the side of the opener. Turn it one way to have the door go higher and vice versa for lower.

Also, check to make sure the chain isn't too loose. There is a a bolt at the end of the chain that you can use to adjust it.

Check the owner's manual too.

Advertisement

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #3

I didn't see an adjustment knob on the side. I'll look for a bolt tonight, but if I use an adjustment knob, won't that make it NOT go all the way down if I tell it to go up some more?

I googled that model number from the label with the word "manual" and I didn't find anything, so I don't know what to do about the manual.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
Carpenter

Any opener I have ever seen has 2 adjustment knobs - one for up and down.

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
Old 12-03-2005, 02:27 AM   #5

OK, I just looked; it has "Open Force" and "Close Force" knobs. Both are set at their maximum level. There are no knobs for travel adjustment on any side or inside the light cover. The two previously mentioned knobs are inside the light cover.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #6

I just found the manual for the garage door opener online. I'll check out the part about the limiter switches. Apparently it uses those instead of adjustment knobs.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 AM   #7

OK, I just moved the open limit switch back almost to the opener itself, and it makes contact with the switch at an appropriate position. Here's the problem. It doesn't stay at that position; it slips back about 5 inches, like the door is to heavy for it to hold up. So it hoists the door up, but it slowly slides back down a little too much for my Expedition to fit inside.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #8
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

That looks like a screw drive type opener, and does indeed work with limiter switches located on the shaft (screw) housing. The door should not slide back down as you describe, something is not right with the installation. Possibly the tension spring isn't properly wound, is this a single spring door? The single spring doors that I've installed use a 1/4" hex bit in a drill to wind the spring. There should be instructions included with manual which will tell you how to wind the spring up tighter. I think this will resolve your problem. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #9

It's not a screw drive; it's a "chain glide", unless those are somehow the same thing. I don't know anything about GDO's. I've heard, however, that messing with the spring is extremely dangerous. Is this something I should pay a professional to do? And if so, how much should I expect to pay without getting ripped off?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #10
Carpenter

I can't help you with the cost but I wouldn't touch the spring. I've been told stories about professionals with all the right tools almost losing an arm or worse.

Is your chain for the opener at the right tension? (check your manual)

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
Old 12-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #11

I linked the manual earlier. I just looked at it and found no mention of setting chain tension

Last edited by cbenard; 12-03-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #12
Carpenter

The chain should be about 1/2" above the track. I was just speculating that if it was too loose it could be causing the slide back you're experiencing.

You may have to resort to getting an expert in to look at it. The last resort may be for you to replace the unit - it's really hard to say without seeing it in person.

Advertisement

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com