Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #1

Share |

Adding two pendants and r. Wiring question with diagram inside!

I have three switches in our bedroom. (1) switch for outlet, (2) switch for ceiling fan, and (3) switch for attic fan. I want to terminate the outlets switch-ability and make it constant hot, and use the switch for two new pendants I will be hanging.

My question is about the switch outlet (lower right of diagram) and obtaining power for the pendants.

Picture 1: http://i.imgur.com/tFH2vSY.jpg
Pitcure 2: http://i.imgur.com/V28pgM2.jpg (only drew the right box from picture 1)

First, can I simply take the left romex black wire and attach to the outlet? (this would be white/black in, white/black through, picture 2)

Second, how can I use the existing romex (G) to attach to pendant for power? Like picture 2?

Is picture two to full solution? (Sorry I accidentally drew the two neutrals in the new box as solids, so had to improvise. :P)

Thanks for the heads up!
draconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #2

I am sorry no one has answered your question yet. I did not look at your drawings as sometimes on this forum it makes the job way more confusing.

1) Remove the switched receptacle and reinstall a new one. Find the wire that is switched. ( Red is very popular). And cap it off with a wire nut. You will not use this wire anymore* unless you want to feed the new fixtures from this box. You should not need any more boxes except for the ones you will use for the new fixtures.
2) Locate the switch you are going to use. That was connected to the now disconnected receptacle.
3) Run a new cable from the switch box (if a neutral is present) to the new fixtures.
4) Run a new cable from the receptacle that was previously switched to the new fixtures.

There are many ways to do this. Your job is to find the best and easiest way to get a cable to the new fixtures from either the existing switch or switched receptacle.

* This disconnected wire can be used to feed the new fixtures if its the best and easiest way to reach the new lights.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

J.V., thanks for the reply!

The switch is not the power source. There is a romex line running from the outlet box to the other side of the room, to the switch. I believe it is tapped power from the other outlets and not from the ceiling. The pictures show the running. They are hosted on imgur, and I did my best to illustrate the issues.

The house was wired in 1977 so very oddly at times. There is no red wire in the bedrooms (only in the kitchen)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Any help or confirmation that my diagram 2 is correct?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Resi EC

Are all three switches in the same box?
Remove white wire from switch that operate the outlet then,
do as suggested replace the switched outlet. but when you wire it back tie all the white together and pigtail to outlet, tie all blacks together pigtail to outlet.

This will give you a feed and neutral at the switch, run the switchleg for the new pendants from it. (no need for 'new box')
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

All three switches are not in the same box.