Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding a switch to multiple Pull String Lights

Hello,

I have seven lights on the same circuit and am trying to add a switch to one group. I added a switch loop to the group I wanted however it is controlling everything to the end of the run. See below for how I am setup.

I have this with all wire being 14/2 and all but the last light on pull strings...

Power - L1 - L2 - L3 - L4 - L5 - L6 - Switch - L7 - Outlet (constant power)

I'm trying to do this...

Power - L1 - L2 - Switch - L3 - L4 - L5 - L6 - Switch - L7 - Outlet (constant power)

When I wired a switch loop at L3, it controlled everything including the existing switch at L7 and the outlet. It doesn't pass power beyond L6 when the switch at L3 is off. I want L7 and the outlet to continue having power whether the switch at L3 is on or off. Given my current setup, it should be possible because the outlet after L7 has power whether the existing switch is on or off. I think I'm missing something simple but can't figure out what it is.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

cherga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

It would help to know how you wired this.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

All wiring except the new switch was existing. I wired the switch loop like the picture. It partially works as L1 and L2 are still independent but the switch controls everything from L3-Outlet. I'm trying to pass power from L6 regardless if the switch is on or off. I believe I have to do something at L6 to pass power to L7 so the switch at L3 essentially stops at L6.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a switch to multiple Pull String Lights-sw_loopload-1.jpg  

Last edited by cherga; 01-26-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

You can only control one light with a switch loop unless you change the cable between the fixtures to 14/3.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. My question on only being able to control one light relates to L7 in my config. If you can only control one light with the switch, how is it that power is being passed beyond L7 to the outlet regardless if the switch is on or off? I would think that I could achieve a similar scenario by passing power through L6 to L7. I thought maybe the outlet was being fed from somewhere else so I disconnected power going from L6 to L7 and power was lost to both L7 and the outlet. Everything is 14/2 so it's confusing...
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

You miswired the switch check the wires again ...the diagram is right the only cause I cause think of is the wires at the switch
RAUL HIDALGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

Your drawing in post #3 will work. Only the light will be switched. If it is not working then you have not wired the same as the drawing or one of the connections is loose.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

You need to be able to pass un-switched power from light 3 to light 7. In order to do this, you need 14/3 between Light 3 and 4,4 and 5, 5 and 6, 6 and 7, or you need to run a new 14/2 from light 3 to light 7 and disconnect/remove the wire from light 6 to light 7.

I would normally wire black as the always hot conductor, and make RED be the switched conductor for the lights.

You cannot get this setup to work with your current wiring configuration. The reason Light 7 and the outlet work as they do, un-switched power comes into light 7 and continues on to the outlet, and a switch leg comes off the un-switched power and returns to the light box and provides power to the light. This is fine for controlling only one light from 1 switch.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #9

Thanks theatretch85, this was the piece I was missing. Since I have an abundance of 14/2, I'm going to run a new line from L3 to L7 as you suggested.

The Following User Says Thank You to cherga For This Useful Post:
theatretch85 (01-28-2013)