Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Adding a switch to a constant power source

Hello,
I just moved into a new place and decided to change some things around a bit. I pulled the cabinet where I had a range hood down, but now I have MC cable coming out of the ceiling with the 2 power wires coming out of it. I want to add a fluorescent light (has it's own switch) in its place, because the power source is constant.

So now I just have a quick question about the wiring. What can I connect the ground wire for the fixture to? The cable?

Last edited by AngeloUCF; 01-05-2008 at 07:31 AM.
AngeloUCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Could you crop those immages a bit? maybe a bit less wall would make the page readable again.

As for your question. Turn the switch off and use a voltage tester. The wire that tests hot while the switch is off goes to the panel.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 514

Is it just me or does it look like the green wire is connected to the switch. If there is a ground on a switch it is usually on the opposite side of the hots. Can you tell us what is connected to the switch?
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Is it just me or does it look like the green wire is connected to the switch. If there is a ground on a switch it is usually on the opposite side of the hots. Can you tell us what is connected to the switch?
Yeah the pic is weird, but the ground is connected correctly on the opposite side of the switch.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 AM   #5

I looks like your home was wired using type MC cable and metal boxes. Since it is rare to find electricians do this unless it is required by some code, I would say that you may need to keep using the same types of materials.

One option you have is to cut a box in where the constant hot wire comes out of the ceiling then run a switch loop down the wall. This is tricky to do without needing some wall board repair.

Another option is remote control switching. If you do this, be sure the remote switch is compatable with the lighting you choose. For this you would cut a box in the ceiling, as above and install a reciever. Next you would carefully cut the mud ring off the existing single gang box and replace it with a two gang cover. You then could install a transmitter in that box.

btw. thanks for croping the pic, and thanks for posting one in the first place. the visual makes giving accurate answers much easier.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:37 AM   #6

Thanks for your help, jwhite. Although I thought the process would be a bit easier than you describe.

That switch in the picture controls the main kitchen light, and from what I can tell is in the middle of the circuit that ends with the range hood wires. Can I not just buy a dual single throw switch similar to this and break the circuit before the range hood wires to switch it while maintaining kitchen light functionality?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #7

From what I can tell of your wiring the answer is know.

Based on your questions, I suggest you first purchase a good book on residential wiring, before you do any work yourself.

I know it is not rocket science, but even I did not know how to tie my shoes till someone showed me.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #8

Got a new question so I edited the original post.