Adding Switch For Ceiling Fan/light. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding switch for ceiling fan/light.

Hello-

I have a hard wired ceiling fan and light combo that uses a pull chain for both. There is a gang box on the wall that has power running to it, but just no wire connecting to the ceiling fan.

I want to add a switch for the fan/light combo. I have been looking at the wireless switches but am unsure how they work. This one for example:

Lutron Maestro 1 Amp Multi-Location 7 Speed Combination Fan and Light Control - White-MA-LFQHW-WH at The Home Depot

Will this work for what I am trying to do? The instructions make it seem like you need a wire going from an existing switch to the fan/light.

Thanks!

Advertisement

safetybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetybar View Post
Hello-

I have a hard wired ceiling fan and light combo that uses a pull chain for both. There is a gang box on the wall that has power running to it, but just no wire connecting to the ceiling fan.

I want to add a switch for the fan/light combo. I have been looking at the wireless switches but am unsure how they work. This one for example:

Lutron Maestro 1 Amp Multi-Location 7 Speed Combination Fan and Light Control - White-MA-LFQHW-WH at The Home Depot

Will this work for what I am trying to do? The instructions make it seem like you need a wire going from an existing switch to the fan/light.
Thanks!
You will need to also purchase the canopy module this is the receiver for the remote switch.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Yes, it comes with the canopy module. I was just concerned because the instructions seem to make reference to an existing wire that should be connected from the fan to a switch, that I do not have.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,514

Most of the fan controls that look and mount like wall switches require wires. Even the "remotes" often switch one wire.

You may want to look at handheld remotes with a wall mount.
Here is an example.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-Ce...6#.UdmrL22OkmM
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

I do have power in the junction box, just no wire that connects to the fan. That is where I'm confused. Do these products require a direct wire connection to the fan or can the switch be powered and the fan be powered (with the canopy module) but not linked together.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetybar View Post
I do have power in the junction box, just no wire that connects to the fan. That is where I'm confused. Do these products require a direct wire connection to the fan or can the switch be powered and the fan be powered (with the canopy module) but not linked together.
As long as you have power to the canopy unit and the sending unit you should not need any interconnecting wire.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Thats what I thought, but I just called the Lutron and they said there needs to be a connecting wire. I can't seem to find a product that I can use. I just need a switch that will fit in a "decora" style housing and control the fan and light.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Then look at this PDF they will show you the connection diagram how it should be working.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/033102a.pdf

I have to dig up Engish verison due my system is in French

Hope that help your question you are looking for.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,514

Quote:
I just need a switch that will fit in a "decora" style housing and control the fan and light.
No, you need a switch that will fit in a "decora" style housing and control the fan and light, without any wires going to the fan location.

I doubt that you will find it.

Give up on the idea of wiring the control into an unrelated location. If you don't know the load downstream of the location, you are liable to burn out the control. Most are only rated for a couple of amps.

A hand held remote will work for you. Mount it near the door.

Advertisement

Last edited by Oso954; 07-07-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote