Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding a smoke detector

I just finished sealing off my shop, which has the furnace in it, to keep any dust from getting to the theater projector. I am now having a minor issue with the furnace and it got me thinking that if there was a fire there, it would take some time to set off the smoke detector in the other room where the projector is. I have 3 detectors in the house, one on each floor, that are hard wired with batt b/u. can I branch off the one in the basement and add another in the shop or am I asking for trouble with all the dust that can be made in there? Is there some other type of detector that I can install in there to alert the household of a fire (bedrooms are on teh 3rd floor). Thanks

Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Adding a smoke detector

What your have are more properly known as "Smoke Alarms", unless you have an alarm panel. Remove one of the smoke alarms and note the brand and model number. Then go on line and find the installation manual. That should tell you how many smoke alarms you can wire together. If the smoke alarms are 10 years old or more, replace them. You might also think about heat detectors in the kitchen, if your equipment will work with a heat detector. The newest smoke alarms have a 10 year battery built in. The smoke will beep if there is a problem with the battery or when the unit is 10 years old. The batteries in the newest alarms are not replacable, you replace the whole smoke alarm.

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Adding a smoke detector

Some smokes can be set off by dust
Used to be the case they would most defintely go off
They have gotten better, not sure how much so
Also make sure you have enough air getting to the furnace

There are different types of detectors...but it's been a while since I looked at them

I will have 9 wired together eventually
You do need to make sure the new one is compatible with the existing smokes
Here we are required to have CO on each floor
I bought one combo CO/smoke for each floor
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Adding a smoke detector

OK, thanks. I'll check all this.
Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Adding a smoke detector

You sealed off the furnace room and now you have issues? Is the furnace getting the combustion air it needs?

oops, somebody said that already.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Adding a smoke detector

There is a detector for fire alarm systems called a "rate of rise" and "heat detector".

The rate of rise is a barometric chamber with a small air escape hole. If the temperature rises very quickly like with a fire, air can't escape fast enough and this triggers an alarm.

And the heat detector sensors come in different temperatures. A certain hot heat will set them off.

I don't know if there are stand alone devices like this which could be installed without a main fire alarm/security system?

Anyway those types of detectors are good for areas like a garage or furnace room where fumes might set off a smoke detector.

Rate of rise detector...
http://www.basshome.com/product_41365_detailed.htm
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

Adding a smoke detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
There is a detector for fire alarm systems called a "rate of rise" and "heat detector".

The rate of rise is a barometric chamber with a small air escape hole. If the temperature rises very quickly like with a fire, air can't escape fast enough and this triggers an alarm.

And the heat detector sensors come in different temperatures. A certain hot heat will set them off.

I don't know if there are stand alone devices like this which could be installed without a main fire alarm/security system?

Anyway those types of detectors are good for areas like a garage or furnace room where fumes might set off a smoke detector.

Rate of rise detector...
http://www.basshome.com/product_41365_detailed.htm

Very good info on heat detectors and the difference between rate of rise and fixed temperature. The only heats I have seen are on a fire alarm or burg system. But, I an NOT an alarm tech, I do srinklers, special hazards & protable extinguishes.

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote