DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Adding second grounding bar to subpanel (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/adding-second-grounding-bar-subpanel-52641/)

rdy2go 09-09-2009 04:46 PM

Adding second grounding bar to subpanel
 
I had a 100A sub panel installed in the garage/workshop by a professional. It was inspected. Now, I am in the process of adding some circuits to the sub panel and when I opened it I noticed that there is only on grounding bar on the left. I wonder if it is allowed to add another grounding bar on the right side to make wiring more convenient. There are screw holes on the back plate which I assume are for that purpose. I assume if code allows it, the enclosure metal will provide the continuity to the existing bar.

I will get this inspected and do not want to have to rework it.

Jim Port 09-09-2009 05:12 PM

Is this panel in a detached or attached structure from the main panel?

If it is in an attached structure there should already be an auxillary ground bar added. This should be in addition to the neutral buss.

Can you post a picture?

220/221 09-09-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

I assume if code allows it, the enclosure metal will provide the continuity to the existing bar.


You are correct.

rdy2go 09-09-2009 05:49 PM

It is sub panel connected to the basement main panel about fifty feet away.

There are two neutral bars on the left and one on the right and a grounding bar on the left side. Yes, they are there and the grounding is fed from the main and kept separated from the neutral. It was inspected.

The question is if I can add a second grounding bar on the right side to avoid having to run the right side grounds to the left side ground bar. Just a matter of neatness and convenience.

BCSparkyGirl 09-09-2009 06:03 PM

I don't see a problem with that........

joed 09-09-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 325779)
Is this panel in a detached or attached structure from the main panel?

If it is in an attached structure there should already be an auxillary ground bar added. This should be in addition to the neutral buss.

Can you post a picture?

It doesn't matter where it is. It is a ground bar in the panel for circuit connections not a ground rod for panel that is being asked about. It almost caught me as well.

Jim Port 09-09-2009 07:48 PM

Joed,

Prior to the 08 it was permissable to run a 3 wire feeder to a detached structure and re-bond the neutral and ground if there were no other metallic paths between structures. This is why I asking, not because of a ground rod issue.

spark plug 09-09-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 325853)
Joed,

Prior to the 08 it was permissable to run a 3 wire feeder to a detached structure and re-bond the neutral and ground if there were no other metallic paths between structures. This is why I asking, not because of a ground rod issue.

Yes. But at first glance, your mind runs automatically to thinking about "Additional Grounding ROD a/o to grounding BAR! But re-BONDING the GROUND and Neutral in a SUBPANEL is never a good idea! (NO matter what) :yes::no::drink:Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

user62257 09-13-2009 02:36 PM

what no pictures?

Professional as to what .. a license electrician. (humer)

Sub-panel in my opinion, should alway be wired with four conductor
cable. The sub-panel has one ground bar. This ground bar would
have the bare, non-insulated wire attach to it. All you circuit ground
wire attach to it.

The white insulated conductor, would attach to the neutral bus bar.
Here you would remove the green scew that bond its to the sheet
metal of the electrical. This what I am told is an isolated neutral.

So, yes install another ground bar, if all of the above conditions exists.

The above are only the opinions of this writer.

GOOD LUCK and work safe. And send us a picture.

rdy2go 09-13-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x42001 (Post 327239)
what no pictures?

I would have posted, but I understand I need to do it with low pixel density and at this time I am not set up to do so

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x42001 (Post 327239)
Professional as to what .. a license electrician. (humer)

Yes, I had an electrical contractor install the sub panel and the state inspector inspect it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x42001 (Post 327239)
Sub-panel in my opinion, should alway be wired with four conductor
cable. The sub-panel has one ground bar. This ground bar would
have the bare, non-insulated wire attach to it. All you circuit ground
wire attach to it.

Yes, four conductors it is. The ground bar has the non-insulated grounding line connected to it, and it is screwed to the back metal frame, just where the manufacturer has one imprinted ground symbol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x42001 (Post 327239)
The white insulated conductor, would attach to the neutral bus bar.
Here you would remove the green scew that bond its to the sheet
metal of the electrical. This what I am told is an isolated neutral.

So, yes install another ground bar, if all of the above conditions exists.

I noticed that on the right side of the box there was also another ground symbol, so I screwed in that place the second ground bar.

Thank you to all for all the comments.

AllanJ 09-13-2009 07:29 PM

Question: When you have two ground bars in the panel are you supposed to run a #6 bare pigtail between them as opposed to relying on their mechanical connection or green screws to the panel for bonding?

rdy2go 09-13-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 327356)
Question: When you have two ground bars in the panel are you supposed to run a #6 bare pigtail between them as opposed to relying on their mechanical connection or green screws to the panel for bonding?

See 220/221 answer earlier in the thread. I understood the enclosure is enough.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved