Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Adding receptical in fireplace.

I'm installing a gas fireplace insert that needs electricity for the circulation fan. My plan is to drill a 1/2" hole through the brick in the basement to gain access to the clean out door (which will be removed). I'm going to use BX or some kind of armored cable. I have just enough clearance on the back of the fireplace to attach a box to the brick.
Does this sound like a correct way to do this?
TIA
Old 07-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
I have gas!

Anybody,
How close to the j-box does BX need to be secured?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #3

I had the same challenge, but I drilled a hole through the back of the firebox as the back goes to the furnace room. I put a new outlet there to plug in the insert... I chose to put the outlet outside of the firebox for maintenance and access... but this meant I had to cut the plug on the cord and put a new plug on... either that or drill a 1 1/2" hole which I wasn't gonna do. I may have voided the warranty by cutting it though...

The original installer just had the blower extension come out the front which was silly...

Last edited by slakker; 07-27-2007 at 04:21 PM.
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakker View Post
I had the same challenge, but I drilled a hole through the back of the firebox as the back goes to the furnace room. I put a new outlet there to plug in the insert... I chose to put the outlet outside of the firebox for maintenance and access... but this meant I had to cut the plug on the cord and put a new plug on... either that or drill a 1 1/2" hole which I wasn't gonna do.
Are you saying you ran the power cord through a hole in the firebox and the wall into the furnace room? If so, and just so you know, that is an absolute no-no according to the electrical code.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
My plan is to drill a 1/2" hole through the brick in the basement to gain access to the clean out door (which will be removed).

It sounds like you are going to be breaching the integrity of the original fireplace insert, right? If so, I would suggest you find some way to severely destroy the integrity of the original fireplace so there is no way in h*** it could ever be put back in service without a proper repair or rebuild. Otherwise, if there is any chance you, or a subsequent owner, may want to use it as a real fireplace some day, you might try to find a different route for the wire and preserve the integrity of the original fireplace.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaceld View Post
It sounds like you are going to be breaching the integrity of the original fireplace insert, right? If so, I would suggest you find some way to severely destroy the integrity of the original fireplace so there is no way in h*** it could ever be put back in service without a proper repair or rebuild. Otherwise, if there is any chance you, or a subsequent owner, may want to use it as a real fireplace some day, you might try to find a different route for the wire and preserve the integrity of the original fireplace.
The insert installer had already destroyed the integrity of the original firebox as that's how he ran the gas to the insert by drilling through the firebox to run the gas. This was done with permits, etc.. But do get the point that the firebox can't be used for a wood burning fireplace again. But that may be a moot point as there's local by laws being talked of to ban all wood burning fireplaces.

I couldn't find anything in the canadian code that this would breach when I did this, but I'll check again.

Thanks for the pointers.
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaceld View Post
The only way to not poke holes in the brick is to run the services on the outside of the fireplace and enter though the front. That's not visually appealing and my probably not code.
Running the wire up though the clean out door is the only way to not destroy the integrety of the firebox. The fireplace was never really functional for wood burning. We were wondering why the chimney looked so clean when we first moved in. Whoever designed it, designed it with a flue that was too small, so it fills the house with smoke before the draft gets going.
I imagine the pipefitter will follow the same route to bring gas into the firebox.
I'm pretty sure I can get an electrical box in the back of the fireplace, but it's going to be tight. Is there a shallow box that I could use. Does the wire need to be secured? How do I secure it to brick?

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 07-28-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #8

I dont see the problem in making those holes.IF thtas what is convenient go forward with it
HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote