DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Adding receptacle questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/adding-receptacle-questions-34937/)

drtbk4ever 01-02-2009 04:58 PM

Adding receptacle questions
 
Hello Gang,

Yes the newbie is back.

In my unfinished basement I only have two receptacles so want to add a couple more instead of running extension cords around the basement. These will only be temporary until the basement is finished, maybe a few years from now.

1) I plan to add a dedicated 15 Amp line to my 12 Amp Central Vac. I will put this on a new breaker in the panel. Can I add the breaker to the panel myself?

At some point I may have to add a sub panel as once #1 is done above, I will only have two slots left in my existing panel. Did I read somewhere that I need to have two slots in order to hook up a subpanel? Do these two slots have to be side by side? This will dictate where I put #1 above.

2) The other circuit is just for a stereo and TV so I plan to add it onto the end of the existing receptacle that is immediately below my panel. Is there any problems with me running another receptacle off of this particular receptacle?

Thanks.

joed 01-02-2009 05:11 PM

You can add the breaker yourself if you feel confident you can do it safely.
Sub panel does need two breakers side by side.

drtbk4ever 01-03-2009 08:40 AM

Thanks Joed,

Anybody know if continuing a circuit from the panel plug is OK?

InPhase277 01-03-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drtbk4ever (Post 206126)
Thanks Joed,

Anybody know if continuing a circuit from the panel plug is OK?

No, it's not ok. Why would you need to do this?

drtbk4ever 01-03-2009 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello InPhase277,

I attached a picture of my panel. The receptacle I am referring to is immediately below the panel.

As it is now, I run an extension cord from said receptacle to a TV/Stereo at the other end of my undeveloped basement.

I had some extra 14-2 wire so I put a receptacle by the TV and ran the wire to the panel. I was hoping I could just add this to the receptacle at the bottom of the panel as I am running out of slots in my panel.

I take it by your reply that it is not acceptable to continue a circuit off of the panel receptacle?

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate my picture.

chris75 01-03-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 206129)
No, it's not ok. Why would you need to do this?

Why would it not be okay? Of course its okay.

drtbk4ever 01-03-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 206168)
Why would it not be okay? Of course its okay.

Hey Chris,

I think what InPhase was getting at is by code the panel plug must be on its own circuit. It looked like an easier solution than adding a new breaker to the panel but I probably shouldn't be so lazy and just add the new circuit.

Thanks guys.

jbfan 01-03-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drtbk4ever (Post 206192)
Hey Chris,

I think what InPhase was getting at is by code the panel plug must be on its own circuit. It looked like an easier solution than adding a new breaker to the panel but I probably shouldn't be so lazy and just add the new circuit.

Thanks guys.

There is not a code preventing you from using that receptacle in the states, but looking at the sideways panel, I guess you are in Canada.

My bad. After looking at the picture, I think you took it sideways!

chris75 01-04-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drtbk4ever (Post 206192)
Hey Chris,

I think what InPhase was getting at is by code the panel plug must be on its own circuit. It looked like an easier solution than adding a new breaker to the panel but I probably shouldn't be so lazy and just add the new circuit.

Thanks guys.

Its not a code violation, and I'm not even required to have a receptacle at the panel.

InPhase277 01-04-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 206168)
Why would it not be okay? Of course its okay.

'Cause I'm an idiot. I read it as "LUG" instead of "PLUG"!

chris75 01-04-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 206717)
'Cause I'm an idiot. I read it as "LUG" instead of "PLUG"!

:laughing: , When I first read your response I found it very strange to begin with coming from you.

Gigs 01-04-2009 09:09 PM

Don't feel bad I thought he said lug too, and imagined some 12 gauge wires piggybacked under his service conductors.

rgsgww 01-05-2009 07:22 AM

I see a violation in the pic, look at the coax ground block...where does that green ground wire go to? Looks like to a romex staple!

drtbk4ever 01-05-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgsgww (Post 207248)
I see a violation in the pic, look at the coax ground block...where does that green ground wire go to? Looks like to a romex staple!

Great catch.

That is the ground wire that the Cable Guy disconnected when I was having issues with my cable reception. It was connected to the main panel ground wire and is now just hanging in space. He said it was possible my cable was picking up interference off of the wiring in my house through this ground wire.

Do you think I should reconnect it?

KE2KB 01-05-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drtbk4ever (Post 207380)
Great catch.

That is the ground wire that the Cable Guy disconnected when I was having issues with my cable reception. It was connected to the main panel ground wire and is now just hanging in space. He said it was possible my cable was picking up interference off of the wiring in my house through this ground wire.

Do you think I should reconnect it?

Figure the cable guy would do something like that. How often do you find one who knows anything about grounding?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved