Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a pony box

Hi I was just curious what is the determining factor for how many additional pony boxs or panel boxs what ever you call them can be added to a square d 200 amp service? Right now the 200 amp panel has a 60 amp service that is out in the garage and the largest draw out there is a 220 volt compressors used on rare occasions, a electric dryer , electric stove and the rest are pretty much all 15 amp breakers.
Thanks
Lynn

Disisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,048

Adding a pony box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disisme View Post
Hi I was just curious what is the determining factor for how many additional pony boxs or panel boxs what ever you call them can be added to a square d 200 amp service? Right now the 200 amp panel has a 60 amp service that is out in the garage and the largest draw out there is a 220 volt compressors used on rare occasions, a electric dryer , electric stove and the rest are pretty much all 15 amp breakers.
Thanks
Lynn
You can add as many as you want.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a pony box

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
You can add as many as you want.
Really ? If I needed to run 3 x 220 volt vats that normally require 20 amp breaker each, I know I would need a 60 amp breaker for the main 200 amp square d panel but what type of additional box would I need ?
Thanks
Lynn
Disisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Adding a pony box

Basically almost unlimited numbers of subpanels you can use but the safe methold is do the load demand caluation to see how much leeway you have with your exsting panel but when you run the cable or conductors from main panel to subpanel there one thing you will keep in your mind.,,

Always keep the netural and ground conductors seperated all the time.

If any of the subpanel come with bonding screw or jumper tab discharge them you will not need them at all.

And some of the subpanels you will have to get the ground bussbar due some will not included so expect to buy that anyway they are only few Euros ( Dollars )

Merci,
Marc
Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

Adding a pony box

Hi, Disisme. Vats? Beer vats? Sounds like my kind of project.

We need lots more info and a diagram. For instance:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disisme View Post
...require 20 amp breaker each, I know I would need a 60 amp breaker...
is not how the formula works. A 16A load would require a 20A breaker, but three of them (48A) would only require a 50A feed.

So, on each piece of equipment, including the stove, is a nameplate. Those are the specs I need. Post pictures of each one. Nice big files so I can zoom in and read with my myopic eyes.

The diagram can be crude, but we need to see where each panel is located in the building and where each piece of equipment will go. And lines between them to show what feeds what.

Especially show what are seperate structures. Only one set of feed wires is allowed between buildings.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote