Adding Phone Outlets And VOIP - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding Phone Outlets and VOIP

Hello, my appartment has almost no phone outlets, but I have access to the basement and can easily pass cables through.

I have the SPA-2102 ATA and intend to provide signal for all future outlets.

My question is, given that my ATA line can provide enough power,
what do I need to split the phone line into 6 (for instance). Also, what kind of cable should I use. And do you know a good site explaining how to squeeze these cable into an outlet properly?

Thanks so much

Advertisement

Olograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Insatiable Learner

Rewards Points: 156
Smile

See if this helps

Advertisement

AngelArs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Nope, have you considered reading? : PPPP
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,470

Easy solution as most do. Get a Cordless phone base station with the number of handsets you wish to have. If you want to have telephone access points through out the apartment, the first you need to do is talk to the owners, to make sure that it is fine with them for you to run the wiring & put in the telephone jacks.

Really it is not Rocket Science. You have Line 1, Line 2. Line one is Red/Green, Line two is Yellow/Black. The RJ-11 Keystones tell you what colors go where. So again what is your problem? Also, if you go through the youtube videos by doing a search in the search bar for "Wiring Telephone Jacks", you will find info a plenty.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Olograph (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Get a Cordless phone base station with the number of handsets you wish to have.
Of course ; ) but I need different outlets, cause I have many vintage phones.

Quote:
the first you need to do is talk to the owners
Seems to be really sacred here, I've been told like 45 times today ahah, better more than not enough. I have full permission, I've talked to the owner.

Quote:
if you go through the youtube videos by doing a search in the search bar for "Wiring Telephone Jacks", you will find info a plenty.
Thanks again.

The ATA will plug into a wall jack, the cable will go in the basement, split into 6 go back upstairs and connect into jacks.

But how? Oh god how do I split the cable into multiple cables. (what is the standard cat3?)

Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Vintage phones. There is no such thing. A phone is a phone. If you want to know how to hook up telephone jacks, there is info a plenty in those videos as I already stated, and to give you a tip, it is no different than wiring a ethernet jack. It is all Star topology. Wiring it old school is fine, but a PITA if you have to make changes.

If you want any of us that have done this work in the military or professionally to do it, it will cost you a couple of cases of our finest beverage, and a round trip ticket, and hotel stay. Better to learn how to do it yourself, than paying someone else to do it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
it will cost you a couple of cases of our finest beverage, and a round trip ticket, and hotel stay
Pwhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahaahah LMFAO

Quote:
Better to learn how to do it yourself, than paying someone else to do it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Vintage phones. There is no such thing.
Haha, I mean collector's item which are basically, regular a$$ phones.

Quote:
If you want to know how to hook up telephone jacks...
Well, I wouldn't ask if I wanted youtube to explain. For this part at least. It's so blurry in my mind, I don't know what to search for.
I'm pretty sure, "hooking a jack" can lead to 30 different things which are not what I want.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Again, it is not rocket science. If you want to just string one long piece of wire from the first point to the last, as I stated before, Line 1 is Red & Green, Line 2 is Yellow & Black. Now if you are using something with Blue/Blue-White, Green/Green-White, Orange/Orange-White, etc like Cat-5e, you would just need to pick a pair and use that for Line 1 all the way.

Do a search of "How to wire telephone jacks", both in Youtube & on the favorite search engine, and you will find plenty of good info. To put this to bed, and make it easy on you, since you will probably not search on the web, here http://wire-your-phones.com/
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #9

Quote:
If you want to just string one long piece of wire from the first point to the last
I have one first point and 6 last in 6 different room. One wire cannot go to all rooms at the same time. So is there such thing as a splitter?

Quote:
Line 1 is Red & Green, Line 2 is Yellow & Black. Now if you are using something with Blue/Blue-White, Green/Green-White, Orange/Orange-White, etc like Cat-5e, you would just need to pick a pair and use that for Line 1 all the way.
I got the part about the cable.

I just wonder, do I use a splitter, or are the jack wired in series?

Quote:
To put this to bed, and make it easy on you, since you will probably not search on the web, here http://wire-your-phones.com/
I rather ask than search all day without the good words. By the way, when I search about installing or wiring another jack, they talk about the jack, not the cable configuration behind.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Insatiable Learner

Smile

Do the "vintage phones" have RJ11 plugs? Are you using keystones? Those come prepackaged with instructions. Just don't get the punch down ones unless you have the tool. All you have to do is match the colors. Pretty straight forward.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
Do the "vintage phones" have RJ11 plugs? Are you using keystones? Those come prepackaged with instructions. Just don't get the punch down ones unless you have the tool. All you have to do is match the colors. Pretty straight forward.
I'll make it very clear. First thanks, but I know all about connecting wires to jacks. What I don't know is how to connect all the cat3 cables in my basement together so they can all have phone signal.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

you run the wire to the first jack, then from there to the second jack, then to the third and so on. connect the right colors to the right colors at the jacks. that's how the phone company used to do it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Insatiable Learner

Smile

I wouldn't use cat3 cable but...

So I take it from you ignoring our last question that you're not using keystones. So whatever wall jacks you're using will have instructions. Many have extra wire taps and you just go from one jack to another. What worries me is where you said "all the cat3 cables in my basement". You should just have one cable going from one jack to the next, as the instructions will explain.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #14

I will not be using keystone, not for the NID not for the jacks.

Quote:
You should just have one cable going from one jack to the next, as the instructions will explain.
Seems like I can route them all to the same place..

http://www.homephonewiring.com/route.html

Look at the different topologies..

Quote:
I wouldn't use cat3 cable but...
What would you use?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
Insatiable Learner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olograph View Post
What would you use?
Depends on how long you plan to live there. Bare minimum would be Cat-5e, but most jobs these days I future proof with cat6 or 6a. Cat6 is around the same price as 5e and has much better performance. You don't want your wire to be your weakest link, unless you enjoy running wire.

Advertisement