Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Adding a phone jack

How do I connect actual land line phone wires. I want to add a few phone jacks. I will be using the new style jacks that you plug the phone into. All my phones are rotory. I also want to run a few night lights off the phone lines. These connections need to be 100 % as I do not have a cell phone. I was hoping to just tap into a line in the basement but I could come off the main outside.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
How do I connect actual land line phone wires. I want to add a few phone jacks. I will be using the new style jacks that you plug the phone into. All my phones are rotory. I also want to run a few night lights off the phone lines. These connections need to be 100 % as I do not have a cell phone. I was hoping to just tap into a line in the basement but I could come off the main outside.
Night lights on phone wire?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Adding a phone jack

Is this a really old post?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
creeper (02-09-2013), paintdrying (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,136

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Well, the OP joined this forum in July 2012 so it's not a super-old post. What I'd like to know is where in the world is there still a phone company that accommodates rotary phones? And where can you even buy one?

To answer the OP's question, phone jacks are wired in parallel just like 120V outlets. They have four terminals, each with a different-colored wire. The bulk phone wire has the same four colors. Only two actually have to be connected, but I've always just connected all four rather than try to figure out which two to use.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Adding a phone jack

Ha, ha. I think I found what I need. Bigbox sells these gel filled connectors. The lights from a phone line is an old idea. http://www.gizmag.com/led-rj11-lamp/13289/
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 156

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Well, the OP joined this forum in July 2012 so it's not a super-old post. What I'd like to know is where in the world is there still a phone company that accommodates rotary phones? And where can you even buy one?
I'll bet that every phone company in the US will support one. The POTS (plain old telephone service) that comes over a copper wire pair is a standard that was established when rotary phones were common. I have a rotary phone in my house. It's one of those pea-green Bell desk models, the same as they were 40 years ago (in fact it may be 40 years old) I have it just as a curiosity, but it plugs right into my land line and works fine. Kinda hard to press one for English, but other than that it's plug and play.
A Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,158

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
What are you referring to as night lights?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #8

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Squared View Post
I'll bet that every phone company in the US will support one.
Then you would lose that bet. My parents lived in California, and had the same wall-mounted rotary phone for over 40 years. More than ten years ago they had to replace it because the phone company updated their equipment and would no longer support rotary dialing. He complained about that until the day he died - waste of a perfectly good phone, he said. And he had trouble hearing the artificial bell ringer on the new one.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Then you would lose that bet. My parents lived in California, and had the same wall-mounted rotary phone for over 40 years. More than ten years ago they had to replace it because the phone company updated their equipment and would no longer support rotary dialing. He complained about that until the day he died - waste of a perfectly good phone, he said. And he had trouble hearing the artificial bell ringer on the new one.
Interesting. Okay, how about this: I bet that the telephone utility I use in Anchorage Alaska will support a rotary phone.

Wanna take that bet?

Edit: Did a little reading on the subject and it would appear that most utilities will support rotary dialing, although obviously not all.

Last edited by A Squared; 02-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No, Paintdrying has been sniffing too many paint fumes again.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Adding a phone jack

well, to answer the question, I just completely re-did the phone wiring in my house. I brought new wire in from my service box to a punchdown block I installed in a central location. Then I ran wire from there to each jack location. I used Cat 5 cable, but mostly because that's what I had on hand. 4 wire telepone cable will work just fine and it will have the proper color coding.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #12

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Squared View Post
Interesting. Okay, how about this: I bet that the telephone utility I use in Anchorage Alaska will support a rotary phone.

Wanna take that bet?.
No, not really. I'm sure you know what your local telco will support.

Beautiful state, by the way. Had the occasion a few years ago to spend some time at Eielson AFB.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

Adding a phone jack

You can tap into the line in your basement if you want. Phone lines are low voltage so they are a little easier to DIY safely than other wiring. It sounds like you have a very old network installed currently, possibly with hard-wired phones (since you refer to plugs as "new")
For your purposes you can buy some of the old 4 wire phone cable and some 'jacks' with screw terminals. The terminals are almost always color coded to match the proper wire color.
There are lots of good tutorials with pictures available on the Internet and most of the "electrical wiring made easy" type books have a section on this as well.

As far as lights, I guess it's possible, but please buy lights designed for use with phone lines. Also, it should go without saying that you should not try to tie you phone line into a high voltage cable to get power for lights.
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #14

Adding a phone jack

Quote:
No, not really.
Ahh, too bad. Thought I could pick up some easy cash that way.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Adding a phone jack

Most areas I've seen still support rotary phones over regular lines, you just can't use them for those voice recording menus, which isn't entirely a bad thing, I hate those anyway.

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote