Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

Adding phone jack

So i am looking to add a new phone jack to an existing line for a DSL modem. (To a room across the house.) I have been doing some research and found the two easiest ways are.

1 - Wire it in the box with the existing jack and then run the wire where you want it.

2 - Wire it in the NID with the existing jack and then run the wire where you want it.

My difficulty is getting the new wire to the existing jack (exterior wall) or the NID (Outside on the end of my garage) without significant headache.(Note there is ONE phone jack in the house and ONE wire that runs from the NID to the jack)

So what i am wondering is if i can take the existing single wire (very accessible in my attic), cut it and install a junction block between the wire coming from the NID and have it serve the existing jack and the new jack and cable i want to install?

Thanks

Cory

Link to junction box - http://www.suttleonline.com/catalog/...ock-cover.html

simbey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Adding phone jack

Sure. Just put a jack there and use it as a junction box...it's daisy chaining and it's been done everywhere. Most new installations use home runs when they can, you apparently do not have that option.

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Adding phone jack

Sure, that'll work. You can splice in anywhere the wire is accessible.

Since you've just got the one jack and one cable, you can treat your new junction as a central junction, and if you add more jacks in the future, try to wire them from the same junction block. It makes troubleshooting in the future much easier.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Adding phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Sure. Just put a jack there and use it as a junction box...it's daisy chaining and it's been done everywhere. Most new installations use home runs when they can, you apparently do not have that option.
Actually with DSL, you do not want to do daisy chaining. You really want to do what is called a "Home Run". That is one wire only from the NID to where the modem will be. Removes the problem of he other jacks causing issues.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Adding phone jack

For a DSL line it is best to run CAT5 all the way from the jack to the NID without any splices. But this is not always possible. So make your splice where you have to, but instead of using a block, use the gel filled butt splice. You can purchase the gel butt splices at local DIY store.

http://www.cwc-group.com/wispfor22awg.html

Last edited by Hardway; 01-14-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: error
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #6

Adding phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Actually with DSL, you do not want to do daisy chaining. You really want to do what is called a "Home Run". That is one wire only from the NID to where the modem will be. Removes the problem of he other jacks causing issues.
It's not always an option in older homes with no access. And although it is preferred, it's not necessary. My entire home and my last one were daisy chained throughout and suffered no loss in speed or performance, according to the tech who did the install.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Adding phone jack

Wow...quick replies! I would ideally like to run a cat 5 from the NID but it may just be too difficult to run the wire.

Not to hijack my own thread but....what is a home run and how is it wired at the NID? Does it require a filter at the NID? hmmm...
Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #8

Adding phone jack

A home run is where all the wires start at the NID and go to each individual jack. A punch down block is used in most cases.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #9

Adding phone jack

So looking at my NID it doesnt have the "screw type" connectors it is like a punchdown block of its own with spots for 4 diffrent jacks. Makes me more inclined to spend my time on trying to get a cable through that impossible wall.

Doing some research i see some information about DSL Splitters.

http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

Any techs have an explaination of why a "home run" is better....seems like the wires are all connected in star topology why would it matter if i split the wires at the NID or 8ft away from it?
My plan is to have a phone on one other jack on the line. That phone would almost never be used. I guess my question being to those who may know....am i really going to get that much benifit from going through the bother of running a "home run" and DSL splitter?

Last edited by simbey1982; 01-15-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #10

Adding phone jack

Every connection is a point where something could go wrong. Even experienced techs occasionally make a bad crimp that will become flaky down the line. A home run minimizes the number of connections that you need to check to find the problem.

From another perspective, with a home run it's more difficult to accidentally cut one wire and knock out service to the entire house. Not that any of us would do that...
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #11

Adding phone jack

I see that perspective of simplicity...

The most difficult part of the run is the exterior wall. There is about an 8ft section of wall between the attic and the NID. There is insulation in the way no room to work due to the slope of the roof and the wall is also insulated/sheetrocked etc. Making it near impossible to get another cable through the wall.

But i do have the ONE line that already comes from the NID into the attic. Wouldn't it be the same as patching in at the NID if I cut the existing cable and put the DSL filter and a new line for the DSL modem...

I just cant see that there is any difference other than the simplicity argument that a_lost_shadow made

For Example

|----|.....8ft cable....................... ___________ Data Line
| NID|-----------------DSL Splitter|
|----|........................................|___________Voice Line

Last edited by simbey1982; 01-15-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Adding phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardway View Post
For a DSL line it is best to run CAT5 all the way from the jack to the NID without any splices. But this is not always possible. So make your splice where you have to, but instead of using a block, use the gel filled butt splice. You can purchase the gel butt splices at local DIY store.

http://www.cwc-group.com/wispfor22awg.html
Why? It is Cat-3 all the way, a short run of Cat-5e is not going to make a difference.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Adding phone jack

Actually you can get the Seicor/corning splitters that go inside the NID, if you can find them. I just used a regular dsl filter, that was plugged into a rj-11, where the wiring came in, then had on the dsl side my modem, which all of my computer networking stuff has always been downstairs where everything comes in, and the other side, I had a box that used a rj-11 pigtail, that my two phone lines plugged into. Here is one link http://sbcpioneershoppe.stores.yahoo...podslspsp.html

Post a picture to see if it is a older or newer one. BTW, who is your service provider?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #14

Adding phone jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Why? It is Cat-3 all the way, a short run of Cat-5e is not going to make a difference.
A home run of Cat-5, will be the best for DSL,
Cat 5 vs Cat 3

The main difference you will find when you are comparing cat 5 vs cat 3 cabling is speed and usability. You will find that when you use cat 5 wiring instead of cat 3 you will have much higher speeds. The cat 5 is also able to resist outside noise much better than the cat 3 wiring.

However gregzoll you can use two coat hangers if you like
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

Adding phone jack

Two coat hangers would work just as good. Using Cat-5e for that of a run is a waste. There is no documented proof anywhere that shows that it improves the quality of a signal that has traveled miles on untwisted pairs, once it hits the home.

All cat-5e or cat-6 does, when ran from the NID to the modem, is give people that warm fuzzy feeling. Again it does nothing for the signal.