Adding Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding outlets

I'm new to home owning and even newer to electrical work. My basement has a few outlets, but not where I need them. I'm currently running a tv, game system, cable box and reciever off of a power strip that is plugged into a simple 9ft extension cord. I'm wondering what wire I need to add another plug and how to make sure I won't pop a fuse.

Cheers, New guy

Advertisement

jeff601307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Adding outlets

Post a floor plan, and picture of your current electric panel. Also, is this space finished or unfinished. You can use surge strips, and the longest that I would ever use is a 6 ft, 12 ft at the extreme, but only for temporary use.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

Adding outlets

I don't have an exact floor plan but this is the basic idea. The basement is half finished, half unfinished. I can directly access the back of the outlet currently holding the extension cord for all the devices and the space where I want to place another one. I hope the pictures help, and thanks for taking your time to help out a noobie
Attached Thumbnails
Adding outlets-imag0003.jpg   Adding outlets-basement-floor-plan.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Adding outlets

If you can not place a drop behind the finished wall, you can use wiremold, which attaches on the outside of the wall, and can be painted. Then you would just use thhn in the wiremold. You would have to place boxes at least every six feet around the perimeter. The good thing is, you can also use wiremold for low voltage wire, such as telephone, catv, ethernet.

As for your panel, it appears to be a older SquareD sub-panel model, but really can not tell, due to how far the shot was.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Adding outlets

Any way to know what kind of wiring I would need to support all the electronics that would be using that outlet?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Adding outlets

#14 Romex or #14 THHN/TWHN, if you use the wiremold, on a 15 amp circuit.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 826

Adding outlets

Remember the N.E.C. Code requires all new circuits to be on an a.f.c.i. breaker.

Advertisement

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement electrical , electrical