DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adding an outlet to a wall switch

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Kingfisher 
#1 ·
I would like to add an outlet in a bathroom that has only a wall switch. Is this possible and how hard would it be to do?

#2 ·
the answer will depend of if the circuit is feed at the wall switch or at the light.

Turn off the power, and open up the wall switch. Then tell us how many of what color wires you find in there. Please try to note which wire go into which cables as they leave the box. (meaning how they are grouped as they leave the box into the wall. )

#3 ·
Yikes. I removed the cover on the switchplate and the first thing I noticed is that the drywall is at least 1/2", maybe even 3/4" thick. That pretty much ends that project for me. I thought it would be simple to sawzall out a wider opening but I think I should have the job done professionally. Thanks for your help though. :)

#5 ·
Keyo, I applaud you for knowing your limits, (especially with electrical). Try to find an electrician that is willing to explain what he is doing and why so you can learn and may be able to tackle a future job

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.