Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding an outlet

I am trying to add an outlet above the rest for a wall mounted tv. I want to go straight up and tie into an outlet below. The outlet below is in the middle of other outlets along the wall. I was planning on just wire nutting the new white to the whites in the existing box, same for red and ground. Does this sound right? My main question though is there is a red wire attached to the existing outlet. Can I forget about this wire for my purpose, or does it need to be involved? Thanks a lot for any responses!

tbbuhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,002

Adding an outlet

Need more info. Number and color of all wires in box? Is receptacle switched? Is it a split receptacle? Wire size? What room is it in? How old is the home? Picture? The more info you provide the easier it will be for us to help you out. Good luck.

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

Adding an outlet

Existing box has two romex cables coming into single gang box. Single 20 amp outlet (15 amp breaker). The two whites are attached to silver screws, the two blacks, two reds and two grounds are pigtailed to the outlet. The black is going to the top of two brass screws, while the red is on the bottom brass screw. I tested them just now and none of the outlets appear to be switched, although there is a mystery switch in the room that seems to do nothing. This is in the living room of a house built in 2007. Not sure on the meaning of split receptacle.

And to fix my first post: I was planning to wire nut the new white to the existing whites in the box. Same for ground and black. I was initially unaware I would find a red in the existing box.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding an outlet-image-2841965762.jpg   Adding an outlet-image-1193013624.jpg   Adding an outlet-image-2451493216.jpg  

Last edited by tbbuhner; 06-16-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Adding an outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbuhner View Post
Existing box has two romex cables coming into single gang box. Single 20 amp outlet (15 amp breaker). The two whites are attached to silver screws, the two blacks, two reds and two grounds are pigtailed to the outlet. The black is going to the top of two brass screws, while the red is on the bottom brass screw. I tested them just now and none of the outlets appear to be switched, although there is a mystery switch in the room that seems to do nothing. This is in the living room of a house built in 2007. Not sure on the meaning of split receptacle.

And to fix my first post: I was planning to wire nut the new white to the existing whites in the box. Same for ground and black. I was initially unaware I would find a red in the existing box.
The red wire is switched... use the black for a constant 120v source.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #5

Adding an outlet

So my plan should be fine I take it? Is there a maximum amount of wiring that can be in the single gang box? Am I ok that way as well?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Adding an outlet

Quote:
So my plan should be fine I take it? Is there a maximum amount of wiring that can be in the single gang box? Am I ok that way as well?
You should be good with only adding one more cable.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #7

Adding an outlet

Great, thanks!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Adding an outlet

Developed a new question. The two whites (one from each piece of romex) are tied to separate silver screws, where as he blacks are tied together and then go to the top copper screw. I tied into the two blacks (so the two existing blacks and the new black are together and pigtailed to the existing outlet). For the whites, since they are currently not together, do I just take one of the existing whites and pigtail it, leaving the other as it was? Or do I need to take them both off the existing outlet and tie all whites together before pigtailing back to existing outlet? Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

Adding an outlet

Quote:
Developed a new question. The two whites (one from each piece of romex) are tied to separate silver screws, where as he blacks are tied together and then go to the top copper screw. I tied into the two blacks (so the two existing blacks and the new black are together and pigtailed to the existing outlet). For the whites, since they are currently not together, do I just take one of the existing whites and pigtail it, leaving the other as it was? Or do I need to take them both off the existing outlet and tie all whites together before pigtailing back to existing outlet? Thanks again!
Emulate what they did with the black wires, twist them all together and pigtail to the receptacle...
Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Sparky

Rewards Points: 500

Adding an outlet

Technically only have to take one, but it's better to take both.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #11

Adding an outlet

So if I take both whites and add my new white, do I have to pigtail to both silver screws still I assume, or just one?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Sparky

Rewards Points: 500

Adding an outlet

only one, unless the tab is broken as it is on the hot side.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,020

Adding an outlet

tbbhuner: like stickboy pointed out that duplex receptacle is most likely half switched. Is this the case? Or did you never notice before that there was a switch somewhere that controlled half of that duplex?
hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #14

Adding an outlet

I have a mystery switch in the room, however I verified none of the outlets, top or bottom, are controlled by a switch. I should have the info needed to complete the project. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
E2 Electrician

Adding an outlet

Quote:
I have a mystery switch in the room, however I verified none of the outlets, top or bottom, are controlled by a switch. I should have the info needed to complete the project. Thanks again for all the help!
Not to dwell on the switched receptacle part, but... They may have never worked as intended if just one of the tabs on a receptacle was never broken out... it happens, especially if someone replaced a receptacle and didn't know the tab had to be removed.