Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding odd circuits in a bedroom and hood fan oh my!

So I'm adding some plugs in the bedroom of my uncles house. Now, the room is a bit big and he wants to make it a kind of self contained place for when his sister comes. It's not my style but it's safer if I do it than him.

Here are the loads on the new circuits(s):

25" LCD- nominal watts, don't know yet what it will be. They don't take much. Maybe 100 or so?
Mini fridge- 120W
Toaster Oven- 1480 watts
Coffee maker- 600-800 watts
Microwave- 650watts

So that's around 3250 watts all together/120= 27A about. None are really continuous. The toaster oven takes a lot but it there will never be a case where all of these things are on at the same time. I'm debating on wiring on wiring 2 new 15A circuits to the room or 2 20A circuits for just these loads. That should do it even at 80% of total capacity.

My question is is 2- 15A circuits enough power for these loads? There will be no other load on these circuits as there are other plugs for lamps and such. As it's a bedroom code states that I have to use arc fault breakers as well so it might get costly.

What I'm wondering is can I run a 14-3 wire to the room and use that on 2 separate arc fault breakers? Or do I have to run 2 different 14-2 or 14-3 wire(s) to the panel. It's a long run to the panel (85') so I'd rather just run 1 wire. And the code book is so large, I don't want to miss a small stipulation.

And does anyone see a fault with using 2-15A arc fault breakers for these loads? Will they trip all the time on 15A circuits? It's that damn toaster oven at nearly 1500 watts. It's over the 80% rating for a 15A circuit but it will only be on for shorter bursts and less than the full rating of the breaker.

I'm told that maybe 2 20A circuits is the key here. However 2-20A arc fault breakers is expensive, maybe even moreso than a 2-pole 20A one with a 12-3 wire.

And I'm adding a hood fan in the kitchen and a plug for the gas range. Can I splice these two from an existing switch/light circuit in the kitchen? There will be no microwave ever on this line and the fridge is too far away to splice the gas range plug to the fridge.

Last edited by beatle; 11-18-2009 at 10:38 PM.
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Same answer I gave on the other site:

I never run 15a outlet circuits, I always run 20a
Cost of the breaker is about the same, wires a bit more
My wife's vacuum is 12a, hair dryer is 1500w
Wimmen like their hair dryers

PLUS:
Bedrooms need AFCI now under NEC 2008

If the "kitchen area" will have a sink, or possibly just a counter then an Inspector could consider it a kitchen & require (2) dedicated 20a circuits

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Heh, small world in DIY forums. There will be no hair dryer, there is one built into the bathroom for that bedroom. The only draw over 800 watts will be the toaster oven at intermittent usage. I just don't want to pay well over a hundred dollars for a 2 pole breaker or 2 1 pole 20A arcs and have it be overkill.
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

If you run a 14/3 or a 12/3 you will need to buy a 2 pole arcfault breaker.
Arcfaults do not work well with shared neutrals.
The best is to run 2 20 amp circuits.