Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

adding new sub panel

Hello,

I am out of circuts in my sub and need to run a dedicated 20A for my computer in the garage(GFI),so after some reserch on here and a few questions I am going to change out the sub panel in the garage to one that has 20 circuts. I will be doing this myself since I believe its just taking out the old and putting in the new,question is just to be safe that once the main is off I am good to go,I just don't want no surprises.

Thanks

zombie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

adding new sub panel

Yup your good to go Just be careful

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #3

adding new sub panel

Put a big note over the breaker so some knucklehead doesn't turn it on while you are working.

Use a voltage tester to make sure the power is off. Use it on a known live source befor and after to make sure it is working.

After testing, When you KNOW its dead, I like to do the flash test. Turn your head and short the de energized hot wires to ground.....just to make sure. If your tester lied or you didn't know how to use it, the worst that could happen is a nice flash/burn. Better than grabbing them hot and killing yourself.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
DIY'er

adding new sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie911 View Post
Hello,

I am out of circuts in my sub and need to run a dedicated 20A for my computer in the garage(GFI),so after some reserch on here and a few questions I am going to change out the sub panel in the garage to one that has 20 circuts. I will be doing this myself since I believe its just taking out the old and putting in the new,question is just to be safe that once the main is off I am good to go,I just don't want no surprises.

Thanks
Keep in mind even with the main off, the Unfused service conductors that enter your main panel are still live. You must us caution around the main terminals and wires even with the main off.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #5

adding new sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Keep in mind even with the main off, the Unfused service conductors that enter your main panel are still live. You must us caution around the main terminals and wires even with the main off.
Jamie
OK,just to reiterate the sub panel is in thhe garage and the main out on the exterior on the other side of the house. It's the main panel which is what I am assuming you are talking about?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
DIY'er

adding new sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie911 View Post
OK,just to reiterate the sub panel is in thhe garage and the main out on the exterior on the other side of the house. It's the main panel which is what I am assuming you are talking about?
Yes, if the main is your service entrance (I assume the meter is right next to it) and is what feeds the panel in the garage.

There should just be a (double pole -2 handles) breaker for the garage panel that you can turn off without even removing the cover on the main panel. You should not need to turn off the main.

Do you have 4 wires in the cable that runs to the garage panel? (attached garage right?)

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #7

adding new sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Yes, if the main is your service entrance (I assume the meter is right next to it) and is what feeds the panel in the garage.

There should just be a (double pole -2 handles) breaker for the garage panel that you can turn off without even removing the cover on the main panel. You should not need to turn off the main.

Do you have 4 wires in the cable that runs to the garage panel? (attached garage right?)

Jamie
Yes I have a 100A in the main outside with the meter and in the garage in the sub I have the red,blk,white and the ground.

again thanks for the help