Adding New/separate Circuit Breaker............. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding new/separate circuit breaker.............

I have my home theater system in my front room and if I have it all on and turn say something on that takes some juice on in the garage it trips the breaker...so I wanted to add a separate breaker for the outlet in the front room. My question is...is there a easy way to find out which wire goes to that outlet, also should I run a standard 15a breaker? My system is HK receiver, 10" powered sub, DVR, Media Center PC, XBOX 360, and Blu-ray. I can run all of it fine until something on that same circuit with some juice kicks on. My understanding is find the wire at the box, (of course after shutting off power) and connecting that to a new breaker in the panel, and installing it. Im comfortable doing the work, Im just not too experienced in electrical work although Im learning quick...

Advertisement

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,908

Unless there are two wires on the same breaker you will need to run a whole new cable from the panel.

I would just plan on adding the new cable and installing a new receptacle too. you can run either a 15 or 20 amp circuit. The amount of work is the same but you get 1/3 more capacity by installing the 20 amp. The money is not that different.

Advertisement

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Where do you live and are you on a slab or finished/unfinished basement
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #4

One thing I would recommend doing is running the computer on a different more isolated circuit....OR using a nice (not a $10 model) power control system. Little power spikes will kill a computer, and if you have that computer on your HT circuit, unless you've got something good leveling out the power, then you're putting your computer at risk.
sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

I live on a foundation based house, So if I run a new wire from the box to the same out let on its own circuit will that work? I just installed a APC Smart UPS 1500 so its all protected BUT it doesnt make sense to have it shut off because its being all used. Im not sure if the UPS will keep it from shutting off or adjust power if needed?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,570

Leave the existing receptacle as is and add a new one next to it.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #7

Is there a easy way to run some romex from there to the junction box? Its through 2 walls from the garage...

Advertisement