Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding new ceiling light in place of switched outlet

Hello, In the process of remodeling the to-be-baby's-room and having trouble wiring the lighting, hoping someone here can help.
The room previously had a switch on the wall that controlled the top (only) of an outlet for a lamp, and I have opted to install a ceiling light while remodeling so I installed the fixture in the ceiling and fished the wire down to the existing switch. The current wiring configuration is as follows:
Switch location has new 14/2 coming down from new light fixture + old 14/2 coming from outlet. (Power source at outlet, I also replaced old outlet with a new one hoping to have it converted to always-on.)
Outlet Location has 4 -sets of 14/2 coming in, 3 whites are pigtailed together with one coming out of pigtail going into outlet, and 3 blacks + a last white are pigtailed together with one coming out of pigtail going to outlet, the last black is going directly to the outlet.

I purchased a dimmer switch that has black/green/red wires coming off of it, and connected the whites in the box to eachother, then connected the black from the new switch to the black from the old 14/2, and the red from the new switch to the black that runs up to the new light.
I'm pretty good with DC power but AC is a mystery, I'm sure the problem is that the power isn't coming out of the original outlet location to the switch location and I'm not sure how to change it to make that happen. I'd prefer to keep the use of the outlet but if bypassing it completely is the only way to get the ceiling light working that's fine.

Thanks for any help,

Xavier

XavierG35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

You need to rewire at the receptacle. Connect all the white together and all the blacks together. You also need to replace the receptacle as the tab on the hot(gold) side will be cut off to make the receptacle half switched.
Previously you had a switch loop send hot to the switch on the white wire and coming back switched on the black wire.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Thanks so much, twisting them together did it no prob.. I had already changed the outlet so everything is working fine now..
XavierG35 is offline   Reply With Quote