Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding my own GFCI into an extension cord question????

I'm adding a 4 plug GFCI into an extension cord. What I purchased is a regular GFCI plug and a regular outlet. I know the correct way of hooking this from....

http://www.wireityourself.com/gfci_e...al_outlet.html

However, the way mine is made, I can only get one black load wire from the GFCI outlet to the regular outlet. The white load wire from the GFCI will not connect to the regular outlet because the way it's made. Instead the regular outlet will get the white wire directly from the extension cord.

I'm sure the GFCI outlet is working and protecting, however is the regular outlet still protecting me since only one wire is passing through the GFCI outlet?

Last edited by stanlam; 07-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.
stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post
I'm adding a 4 plug GFCI into an extension cord. What I purchased is a regular GFCI plug and a regular outlet. I totally understand how to hook this up correctly.......the Line and the Load from the GFCI outlet needs to go to the Line and Load on the regular outlet. However, the way this is made, I can only get one wire (either the Line or the Load) from the GFCI to the regular out. The other wire will go directly from the extension cord into the regular outlet without ever passing through the GFCI.

I'm sure the GFCI outlet is working and protecting, however is the regular outlet still protecting me since only one wire is passing through the GFCI outlet?
There is not line/load on a regular recep. The cord conductors go to the line side of the GFCI. Conductors from the load side if the GFCI are connected to the standard recep. But of course you TOTALLY understand how to wire this correctly.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

A "regular outlet" does not have a "line and load". You need to connect the black and white from the cord to the appropriate line connections on the GFCI and connect the "regular receptacle" to the load connections of the GFCI. And I hope what you are doing is adding a short piece of SOO cord to these items in an approved box with a plug on the other end. You should NOT be cutting the end off an extension cord and adding this.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
There is not line/load on a regular recep. The cord conductors go to the line side of the GFCI. Conductors from the load side if the GFCI are connected to the standard recep. But of course you TOTALLY understand how to wire this correctly.
I rewrote it. Sorry.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
A "regular outlet" does not have a "line and load". You need to connect the black and white from the cord to the appropriate line connections on the GFCI and connect the "regular receptacle" to the load connections of the GFCI. And I hope what you are doing is adding a short piece of SOO cord to these items in an approved box with a plug on the other end. You should NOT be cutting the end off an extension cord and adding this.
So is the regular outlet protecting also?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post
So is the regular outlet protecting also?
Everything connected to the LINE terminals is protected.

The LINE terminals are merely extensions of the GFCI receptacle female terminals.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildie For This Useful Post:
stanlam (07-15-2011)