Adding Lights To A Circuit (theatrical Application) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding lights to a circuit (theatrical application)

Hey all,

First time post here, though I've gotten lots of helpful advice from perusing in the past...

Here's my current situation- I'm adding lights to a circuit- the house of my theatre is a little dark in the back so I wanted to add some PAR16 fixtures. Right now there are 10 recessed floods, and I've added 5 45w pars. I got a Tripp Lite strip and tied that in to my jbox where I have dimmer control of the circuit. (there is an on/off switch in our lobby which powers the dimmer in the booth). Everything is tied together super nice and neat, but when the dimmer is on FULL, my tripp lite strip and associated par16s are off. When the dimmer is out completely, the pars are on full. I think it's pretty clear that I'd like all the lights to work at once, not opposite, so what am I missing here?

I haven't traced the entire signal chain yet, but wanted to give a start here. I'll be doing more investigating tomorrow night. I've attached a photo of the jbox in which I made my connections.

Thanks a million in advance!

Advertisement

GradyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Looks like you need a neutral for the new lights. Where does that conduit go that connects to the existing lights? You need to find the neutral at the next junction box, and run a new single white conductor the same size as what's already in that conduit. Your original dimmer setup was/is a switch loop configuration and therefore provides no neutral to add anything at this junction box.

Advertisement

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Many thanks! I will check tonight or tomorrow and trace the conduit. I'm hoping it's a short pull....

Now for adding that conductor, do I want to connect them separately? So the neutral from pars to the fresh-pulled neutral alone? Or do I add that new neutral to the other 3 wires in the wire nut?

Last edited by GradyH; 07-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.
GradyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

While you are at the next junction box, you'll also need to determine which of those wires (blue and black) are the supply, and which is the load (to the existing lights). Once you figure that out, you'll tie the black from the new lights to the load (at the dimmer), and the white of course to the new white wire you pull in.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote