Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #1

Share |

Adding lights to ceiling fan.

I have a ceiling fan that has no light fixture in it and that bares no brand name or model on it. What I would like to do is add a light fixture to it. I have pulled the center piece out and there are wires inside of it. So it does look like it is light capable...you tell me. The opening for the light fixture is aprox 3.875 is this universal? Can you walk me through this adding a light to this non light fan? What all will I need? Would it be better to take the buy a whole new unit route? Cost etc.. If its 60-100 bucks for light fixture plus globes maybe buy new fan. Your thoughts.

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MHJCs View Post
I have a ceiling fan that has no light fixture in it and that bares no brand name or model on it. What I would like to do is add a light fixture to it. I have pulled the center piece out and there are wires inside of it. So it does look like it is light capable...you tell me. The opening for the light fixture is aprox 3.875 is this universal? Can you walk me through this adding a light to this non light fan? What all will I need? Would it be better to take the buy a whole new unit route? Cost etc.. If its 60-100 bucks for light fixture plus globes maybe buy new fan. Your thoughts.
Replacing the fan is certainly an option. But I have found that most light kits fit almost every fan. So, take your measuring device down to where they sell lights and make sure. There should already be two wires in the fan ready for a light, usually blue and white. These will connect to the wires in the kit. The only problem I could see is if the original installer didn't hook the blue wire up inside the top canopy.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Whatamess

Take the center piece with you to test the size.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #4

I picked up the light fixture for ceiling fan. Tomorrow it goes in. Is this pretty cut and dry or may I run into some problems? Let me know.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MHJCs View Post
I picked up the light fixture for ceiling fan. Tomorrow it goes in. Is this pretty cut and dry or may I run into some problems? Let me know.
Are you planing to wire up a separate switch from the fans switch or just use a pull chain?
Jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #6

There will be a blue and a white wire, capped off, in the housing for your light kit.

The question is, did they hook up the blue wire in the ceiling j box?

If they did, is it on a seperate switch?

Take the canopy off and see what the wiring looks like

If there is only a black and a white wire, the light will only work when the wall switch is turned on and you will have to individually control the fan and light via the pull chains.

If there are more house wires in the jb, describe them for more options.

Typically on a fan, the black goes to the fan motor, the blue to the light kit. The white wire is your neutral. Both the motor and light use the same neutral.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #7

Its in with the assistance of my brother holding the fixture its in. It was the blue and white combo wire set so it went well. The only other thing was that the original cap the plug hole in the center I had to knock out due to the new fixture was not the same size. So knocked that out ran wires through and connected it to the new fixture screw in and get bulbs turn on power and let there be light! Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyyourall5 View Post
it is a windows operation system chinese mobile phone
These people should be arrested and China should be nuked. Ridiculous.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote