Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adding lights

im adding 2 flourescent lights in my basement off to the side of 2 existing lights. is it best or required to do it a certain way. Im not sure if its correct to continue the circuit around to where i want the new lights or if i can just pigtail at each existing light and run a wire over to where i want them. or is it ok to do it either way? also the lights im adding are the shop lights with a cord already wired so you can plug them into a receptacle. im thinking it would probably be best to remove the cord and just wire them straight into the circuit as opposed to installing outlets to plug them in to.

switch-------------O----------------O < existing lights/circuit

________________ O ______________O< lights i want to add

ignore the lines ^^

Last edited by mharwell01; 01-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.
mharwell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

adding lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwell01 View Post
im adding 2 flourescent lights in my basement off to the side of 2 existing lights. is it best or required to do it a certain way. Im not sure if its correct to continue the circuit around to where i want the new lights or if i can just pigtail at each existing light and run a wire over to where i want them. or is it ok to do it either way? also the lights im adding are the shop lights with a cord already wired so you can plug them into a receptacle. im thinking it would probably be best to remove the cord and just wire them straight into the circuit as opposed to installing outlets to plug them in to.

switch-------------O----------------O < existing lights/circuit

________________ O ______________O< lights i want to add

ignore the lines ^^

Either way would be fine. I personally would run the cable from one light to the other and not pigtail. And I would probably hardwire the lights as well like you already mentioned. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote