Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a lighting circuit for the basement, maybe some other changes.

In an effort to better load balance the wiring in my house, I have removed the basement lighting because it was sharing with another circuit that has fixtures and receptacles on it on both the first and second floor.

I feel my best option is to move the lighting in the basement to it's own Circuit in the box. This will require a new breaker to be added, and new romex to be pulled. This is an unfinished basement, but I would like to install up to 4 fluorescent lights, controlled by a switch at the top of the stairs.

What size breaker do I need to add to the panel, and is there a specific order I should be adding the lights/switch in? Also, what size Romex do I need for this install? Will 14/2 be enough or should I be using 12/2? Any other things I need to know about this project that im planning to take on? IE. Code Requirements, etc.

ffemt121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

A single pole 15 amp breaker with 14-2 NM cable that gernerally work very well for most situation.

Are you plan to finish the basement in future if so you will have to add a second circuit ( right now just one circuit will be fine until you get that far then you will able do it right )

Just run the power to the switch box then go to the luminaries this genrally is the best route for this set up.

Merci,
Marc

ffemt121 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
A single pole 15 amp breaker with 14-2 NM cable that gernerally work very well for most situation.

Are you plan to finish the basement in future if so you will have to add a second circuit ( right now just one circuit will be fine until you get that far then you will able do it right )

Just run the power to the switch box then go to the luminaries this genrally is the best route for this set up.

Merci,
Marc
Marc,
The basement is currently "finished" by the previous owner. Not using permits or anything that resembles a bit of safety regarding his wiring. I am actually un-finishing it, and may refinish it at some point in the future. The outlets down there are already on a separate circuit, although I was planning to retrofit the one at the head of that line with a GFCI incase my sump pump ever fails and I end up with more that 24" of water in the basement. Does that make any sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt121 View Post
Marc,
The basement is currently "finished" by the previous owner. Not using permits or anything that resembles a bit of safety regarding his wiring. I am actually un-finishing it, and may refinish it at some point in the future. The outlets down there are already on a separate circuit, although I was planning to retrofit the one at the head of that line with a GFCI incase my sump pump ever fails and I end up with more that 24" of water in the basement. Does that make any sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Ahh ok that make sense there and start it from fresh and done it right in first time.

Run the sump pump on it own circuit I am pretty sure your state code say it have to be own circuit anyway.

I know in State of Wisconsin it do required to be it own circuit plus couple other local codes will show up.

In France where I am not we do keep the sump pump on it own circuit.

When you do the unfinshing work aka gutting out don't be suprised you will run into alot of nutty things so take a photo to doucoment it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican

Ahh ok that make sense there and start it from fresh and done it right in first time.

Run the sump pump on it own circuit I am pretty sure your state code say it have to be own circuit anyway.

I know in State of Wisconsin it do required to be it own circuit plus couple other local codes will show up.

In France where I am not we do keep the sump pump on it own circuit.

When you do the unfinshing work aka gutting out don't be suprised you will run into alot of nutty things so take a photo to doucoment it.

Merci,
Marc
Oh the pump has already been isolated. But yes I'm finding all sorts if crazy stuff.
One more question. Is the dishwasher supposed to be on it's own line? In my previous house it was, but that is because it was an after thought.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Oh the pump has already been isolated. But yes I'm finding all sorts if crazy stuff.
One more question. Is the dishwasher supposed to be on it's own line? In my previous house it was, but that is because it was an after thought.
Depending on the amp rating on the dishwasher and garbage dispoal that can be on that circuit but it can not be more than 50% of circuit rating otherwise run it own circuits.

Merci,
Marc
ffemt121 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Lic Electrical Inspector

The sump pump does not require GFI protection as long as it is a single outlet. The rest of the wiring can be 14/2 on a 15A breaker.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Find out what the manufacturer requires/recommends regarding DW wiring.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures

Find out what the manufacturer requires/recommends regarding DW wiring.
Ok now I'm just confused...
I traced the wires from the basement lighting Circuit. Found where they were fed from in an outlet box on the first floor. I removed the feed and the basement lights went out...good job right? Wrong. Now half the family room and all of the lights in the kitchen are out. And I can't find where any of that stuff feeds from....I can't find any wires that haven't been addressed, and the to outlets I explored trying to find the feed are both working fine, but clearly these were somewhere inline. Any ideas how I can track this down?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
The sump pump does not require GFI protection as long as it is a single outlet. The rest of the wiring can be 14/2 on a 15A breaker.
Is this an amendment to the NEC or just not the most recent NEC?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt121

Ok now I'm just confused...
I traced the wires from the basement lighting Circuit. Found where they were fed from in an outlet box on the first floor. I removed the feed and the basement lights went out...good job right? Wrong. Now half the family room and all of the lights in the kitchen are out. And I can't find where any of that stuff feeds from....I can't find any wires that haven't been addressed, and the to outlets I explored trying to find the feed are both working fine, but clearly these were somewhere inline. Any ideas how I can track this down?
Reconnect the feed to the box in the first floor. Get everything working and start over again. Sounds like the first floor was wired from underneath.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures

Reconnect the feed to the box in the first floor. Get everything working and start over again. Sounds like the first floor was wired from underneath.
Figured it out. I took a 20' jumper off another circuit in the basement to check which wire fed all that stuff. Found it. Added a new circuit in the panel just for that and gave it a fresh home run. Now I figured out that the basement switch is stealing power from that circuit for the basement lights. I was wrong about my assumption of the wired coming from the switch. Now that I know about that, I know how to get the basement lights of and onto their own line
Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Figured it out. I took a 20' jumper off another circuit in the basement to check which wire fed all that stuff. Found it. Added a new circuit in the panel just for that and gave it a fresh home run. Now I figured out that the basement switch is stealing power from that circuit for the basement lights. I was wrong about my assumption of the wired coming from the switch. Now that I know about that, I know how to get the basement lights of and onto their own line
If you add any convenience receptacles, they have to be GFI protected. Any receptacles for sump, washer or gas dryer do not have to be GFI as long as there are no open receptacles after the appliances are plugged in. A freezer does not require GFI as long as it is a single receptacle.
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
ffemt121 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
Any receptacles for sump, washer or gas dryer do not have to be GFI as long as there are no open receptacles after the appliances are plugged in. A freezer does not require GFI as long as it is a single receptacle.
This would depend on what code cycle the OP is on... 2005 I believe is the only code cycle that allows this.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 10-23-2012 at 06:51 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
ffemt121 (10-23-2012), k_buz (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Licensed Electrician

Barring local amendments, the 2008 code requires all basement recepts to be GFI protected. There is no exception for single recepts or above 7'.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
ffemt121 (10-23-2012)