Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Adding a light switch....

I have a light switch at the top and bottom of my stairs to the second floor. The switches turn the lights on or off and operates from either end. I want to add a second switch on the second floor for a seperate new fixture. I only need the new switch in the one location and I only need it for the one fixture. How do I run the power to this new switch without inturuptiong the other switches?

truebaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

Is there an outlet near by that you can steal some power from?

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,506

You need to find a constant on source of power. There might be one in the switch box. If you open the box and tell us all the wires we might be able to determine if yo have it in the switch box. If you only have three wires and a ground then you do not have it on the switch box.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
Is there an outlet near by that you can steal some power from?
ya know what. yes there is. I didnt even think of that. I assume that should be fine, it is a pretty low power device i am hooking up. so how do i tap into that and run it to the new light switch? thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You need to find a constant on source of power. There might be one in the switch box. If you open the box and tell us all the wires we might be able to determine if yo have it in the switch box. If you only have three wires and a ground then you do not have it on the switch box.
I just looked at the back of the light switch. There are 2 cables coming into the box. One cable has a red, a black and a ground. The other cable has a black a white and a ground. Something I did not recognize was the switch itself. the screws for connecting the wires are on the top and the bottom of the switch. the black and red on the top. the two whites are twisted together. a black on the bottom and the grounds are screwed to the box itself. Now where do i go?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 512

What you have there is a 3 way switch, controls your light from the bottom and top of the stairs. The white that is twisted together would you be your neutral so that is half the battle. Now you have to figure out if you have a constant hot(which would be connected to the common screw, should be a different colour screw). The other two would be travelers. The best way to test this is to use a multimeter and measure between the common and the white. Have someone flip the switch at the bottom of the stairs, if you notice the voltage going from 120 to 0 each time they flip the switch that is not a constant hot. If the voltage stays at 120 then that hot is constant.

Let us know what you find out from this and we can tell you if you can go from that switch or if you have to take power from the plug.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,506

You have a chance at least that there is power there. Either the two wire cable is the cable to the lights or it is the power wire. Do the test above and we will know for sure. You have this setup. WE just need to figure out if you are at the light or power switch.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...3way/3wayboth/

joed is offline   Reply With Quote