Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a light kit to a ceiling fan

I decided to add a light kit to an existing ceiling fan. There has never been a light kit on this fan. I ordered a kit that matched the fan (Craftmade). It was simple to install, but I can't get it to work. I've tested the bulbs in other lights, so I know the bulbs work. Neither the pull chain nor the wall switch makes the light come on. I've gotten a different light kit, so unless I have two bad kits, the problem lies somewhere else.

I suspect the problem may be in the wall switches. The fan is controlled by a Casablanca dial switch that sets the speed of the fan (although the pull chain still is present). To the right of that switch box is a standard on-off switch that has never done anything. When we removed the face plate, we found three wires entering the box, red, white, and black. The white and black wires are both attached to wires coming out of the Casablanca box (the fan control switch). The red wire is inserted into a hole in the back of the separate on-off switch. There is a ground wire in the back of the box. There are no other wires in the box at all. Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? Thanks in advance.

kd_rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

There may be an unmade connection inside the fan canopy.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #3

The switch and the kits are probably bot compatible. Some light kits are not dimable. Install a regular switch and see if the light works. If that doesnt work we will move onto step two.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

The switch works fine for the fan speed control. I assume the simple on-off switch is supposed to be for the light. The fan was installed when the house was built, and I assumed the other switch was in case someone wanted to install a light kit at some point. I'm just baffled at only having the single red wire attached to the switch. Is that correct?

Where would I look for this connection in the canopy?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_rn
The switch works fine for the fan speed control. I assume the simple on-off switch is supposed to be for the light. The fan was installed when the house was built, and I assumed the other switch was in case someone wanted to install a light kit at some point. I'm just baffled at only having the single red wire attached to the switch. Is that correct?

Where would I look for this connection in the canopy?
You need to jump a black/hot from a junction in the box. If you dont have a black wire nutted connection in the box you need to make one then jump to old and new switch. New switch will have a red and a black wire nutted connected to it. The canopy can be dropped by undoing the screws at the very top of the fan next to the ceiling.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

If there is truly only a single wire to the one switch you either are missing the power into the switch or there is no output from the switch to get to the fan box.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #7

It sounds like you're both saying the same thing - the switch needs a black wire. There is no other black wire present, so I'll need to split the one that is in the box and send it to both switches. Why in the world was the other switch put there with only a red wire? Sometimes trying to figure out why something was done the way it was done is the most confusing part of all.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #8

For the record, this is what I'm looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a light kit to a ceiling fan-img_5554.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
For the record, this is what I'm looking at.
Take a new black wire from yellow wire nut to new switch. Then paint that wall.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Yeah, I like the wall color just fine, thanks.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Yeah, I like the wall color just fine, thanks.
Me too, jus playin holmes.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #12
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHomeDoctor View Post
Take a new black wire from yellow wire nut to new switch.
I see two yellow wire nuts.

If that is a properly wired switch loop the white would be the hot to the switch. You would add a black pigtail to the white/black splice to power the other switch.