Adding A Light To An Existing 3-way Connection - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a light to an existing 3-way connection

I have a light going down to my basement, wired to a 3-way switch at both the top and bottom of the stairs. I would like to add an additional light to this circuit, as the existing is towards the top of the stairs. The power is is going to the light, and then from the light to both the 3 way switches on 12/3. Is there an easy way to add this second light into the mix without having the rewire the entire circuit?

I have wired this type of circuit before by running 12/3 to the first 3 way switch from the powered light, and then connecting the two lights with 2 12/2 lines and running the 12/3 from the second light to the second switch. I am currently finishing my basement, so I have access to the second light and second switch, but don't have access to the light and first switch unless I tear out existing drywall, whcih I am hoping to avoid.

Any help or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

nthomp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,404

Not with the existing wiring. This is due to the fact the power goes to the light fixture first and there is no neutral anywhere but the light fixture if your description is correct.

Your existing wiring is most likely either 2 wire with ground cable to the first switch then 3 wire with ground to the second.....or if the switches are in between the fixture then 3 wire with ground runs to each switch from the fixture.

OOPs sorry I just realized you said 12/3 to each switch but again the neutral is at the fixture.....

Advertisement

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-21-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just run a 2 wire from the light you have to where the light you want will go. You only need a 14-2 guage wire for the light.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote