Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Adding a light to an existing 3 way circuit

I have a switch at the top and bottom of a stairway with the light at the bottom. I have mounted a light at the top of the stairway and ran wire from the switch at the top of the stairs to the new light. I can not get the light I have added to work off the exisiting wires in the upper switch box. It appears that there is no neutral wire there.

Please advise...thanks, Randy

rlferdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlferdig View Post
It appears that there is no neutral wire there.
Appears? If no neutral exists, you'll have to get one (from the existing lighting circuit) to the new light. Whatever you do, DO NOT cheat and try to use the bare ground (assuming that this is romex) for this purpose. If your house has pipe, you can more than likely pull another conductor through the existing conduit.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Jimmy-
Thanks for responding. There is a switch for the kitchen on the backside of the switch I am attaching the light to. I would like to jumper off that neutral. Does that sound okay?

Let me know...thanks for your help, regards, Randy
rlferdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlferdig View Post
Hi Jimmy-
Thanks for responding. There is a switch for the kitchen on the backside of the switch I am attaching the light to. I would like to jumper off that neutral. Does that sound okay?

Let me know...thanks for your help, regards, Randy
This would be a big no-no! The hot and neutral wires for a particular circuit must stay in the same race-way (or in this case romex/NM). You would have to wire from the light at the bottom of the stairs to get the neutral and hot wires. I am assuming you only have a black, red, white and bare ground in the switch box at the top of the stairs? Most stairways that go from a ground level to a basement level and has no 3rd level can be accessed from the attic (since usually the space above a stairway is largely un-useable). Id try and see if you can route the wire for the new light down to the light box at the bottom of the stairs.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I would like to jumper off that neutral. Does that sound okay?

You are going to have to feed the new light from the existing light or the other switch.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote