DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Adding a Hot Receptacle to a 3-Way Switch (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/adding-hot-receptacle-3-way-switch-13624/)

rtyui2 11-20-2007 11:34 PM

Adding a Hot Receptacle to a 3-Way Switch
 
I want to add a hot receptacle to a 3-way switch and have found a wiring diagram to show me the way. My question is, am I limited to just one hot receptacle or can I extend the circuit to other outlets, or even to another switch and light, or switch and fan?

RichyL 11-21-2007 12:11 AM

It depends on what all you have on that circuit. If you dont know you can turn off the power and see what is not working. Some 3 way switches you cannot tap out of because not all of them have a neutral, which you will need.

Andy in ATL 11-21-2007 04:00 AM

Not all of them have a constant hot either....which you also need. Do you have a constant hot AND a neutral?

rtyui2 11-21-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichyL (Post 75275)
It depends on what all you have on that circuit. If you dont know you can turn off the power and see what is not working. Some 3 way switches you cannot tap out of because not all of them have a neutral, which you will need.

It's a new circuit that I want to run in an addition to my house so there is nothing on the circuit yet.

jbfan 11-21-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtyui2 (Post 75310)
It's a new circuit that I want to run in an addition to my house so there is nothing on the circuit yet.

You are limited by the code in your area. Is the addition condisered a batroom, kitchen or bedroom.
If a kitchen, then you cannot share the outlets and lights.
If a bathroom, then you can share in some cases.
In a bedrrom you can share in all cases.
The best way to wire it is bring the hot into the recepticile first, then feed the 3 way switches.
Clear as mud eh?

joed 11-21-2007 05:54 PM

You are not limited to one receptacle. You can extend the circuit to other devices, as many as you like without overloading the circuit.

220/221 11-21-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

You are not limited to one receptacle. You can extend the circuit to other devices, as many as you like without overloading the circuit.

And, like someone else said, make sure you have the hot AND neutral in that switch box.

joed 11-21-2007 06:01 PM

It's whole new non existent circuit. It can be wired any way he likes it to be.

RichyL 11-21-2007 06:26 PM

[quote=rtyui2;The best way to wire it is bring the hot into the recepticile first, then feed the 3 way switches.
Clear as mud eh?[/quote]

I agree with JB here although you will only need to have a hot to one of the 3 way switches, your travelers from the fed switch will carry the hot to the 2nd 3 way switch. If the 2nd 3way switch is in a box that you will be putting a single pole switch in addition to the 3way you WILL need a hot to the other box to feed the single pole.

Andy in ATL 11-21-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichyL (Post 75429)
your travelers from the fed switch will carry the hot to the 2nd 3 way switch. If the 2nd 3way switch is in a box that you will be putting a single pole switch in addition to the 3way you WILL need a hot to the other box to feed the single pole.

Huh??

RichyL 11-21-2007 07:27 PM

sorry for the confusion. What i meant to say was If he has a single gang box with a 3-way that is fed here, and across the room a 2 gang box with a 3-way and a single pole in it, he will not be able to use the hot off the travelers from the 3-way to feed his single pole switch. Hope this makes more sense :whistling2: He will need a seperate hot and neutral at this point.

Andy in ATL 11-21-2007 08:08 PM

It does...I thought you meant the opposite. Don't be shy to call me out when I don't make sense!:yes:

Andy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved