Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a Heat Pump

Hello, new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks ahead of time for the help.

My house is 16 yrs old and currently has a meter panel outside with a 125A rating, it has 4 breakers out of 6 spots installed (no main cutoff). 60A, 50A, 30A, 30A. The 60A-feeds main panel in the house which is a 125A 20/40 type, 50A-range, 30A-a/c compressor, 30A-dryer. Do I have 100A service then? Can I safely add a 60A breaker for a heat pump?

Thanks

BIGROTT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

Adding a Heat Pump

Usually, the service size is the rating of the main breaker. Since this service doesn't have a main breaker, we'll go with the main panel bus rating, and call it 125.

Given the loads you've described, I would nave no problem at all installing a 60 amp 2 pole breaker in the 2 remaining slots of the main panel. You're still legal, because you can have up to 6 breakers to disconnect the entire service, you have 5 now. I don't know the size of the house, but I'd bet that if we did a load calc., you'd still be OK. Even better if the new heat pump replaces the existing A/C unit.

Rob

micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #3

Adding a Heat Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Usually, the service size is the rating of the main breaker. Since this service doesn't have a main breaker, we'll go with the main panel bus rating, and call it 125.

Given the loads you've described, I would nave no problem at all installing a 60 amp 2 pole breaker in the 2 remaining slots of the main panel. You're still legal, because you can have up to 6 breakers to disconnect the entire service, you have 5 now. I don't know the size of the house, but I'd bet that if we did a load calc., you'd still be OK. Even better if the new heat pump replaces the existing A/C unit.

Rob
This meter panel appears to only accpet 2 pole breakers for a total of 6, with 4 spots occupied. Its about an 1800 sqft home, and the new heat pump breaker (60A) would be for the air handler (indoor) and I would need to keep the 30A for the outdoor unit.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #4

Adding a Heat Pump

That still leaves you with 2 slots for your 60 amp breaker. No problem, use it. Don't these meter/load center panels really come in handy? I would never just buy a meter can again.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #5

Adding a Heat Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
That still leaves you with 2 slots for your 60 amp breaker. No problem, use it. Don't these meter/load center panels really come in handy? I would never just buy a meter can again.

They sure do... Job is complete, I ended up using a 60A breaker wired with 6/2 outdoor wire. Had to pull the meter to cut the power off. Judging by the main meter wires (at least 4/0) I could definetly upgrade the panel to 200A if I needed to.