Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

adding a glass cooking range to existing ac breaker..help!!

i have a airconditioning breaker on the side of my homE currently on 60 amps.. i wanted to add another breaker for an electrical cooking range that im installing.i dont want to run any wires from the otherside of my home to the other.... so can i just use the 220v thats already there for the airconditioning compressor and piggy back the red/blk wires and the ground to the new breaker would that be safe and would it work...also what gauge of wire should i use... its a whirpool household glaSS COOKING RANGE THANKYOU!!

babyjesse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #2

If you are disconnecting the AC...Yes (maybe)
Otherwise....no

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjesse2 View Post
i have a airconditioning breaker on the side of my homE currently on 60 amps.. i wanted to add another breaker for an electrical cooking range that im installing.i dont want to run any wires from the otherside of my home to the other.... so can i just use the 220v thats already there for the airconditioning compressor and piggy back the red/blk wires and the ground to the new breaker would that be safe and would it work...also what gauge of wire should i use... its a whirpool household glaSS COOKING RANGE THANKYOU!!
No due majtory of the ranges are required netural conductor anyway beside few counter top units are straight 240 volt sans netural it can get by with it.

For your extsting A/C circuit I am pretty sure that is two conductor sans netural so I will NOT bother try to hook it up to your range better off just run new circuit for your range and be done with it on codewise and it have to be full 4 conductor cable or conductor in conduit one of the two.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #4

thx.... i was under the impression that i could. so i should run new wiring from the house panel all the way to the range that im installing.. i just thought that i would install a breaker and use the 220v that was there already
Old 09-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

The other reason why I will not bother use the A/C circuit due it may have wrong conductor size and the numbers so it will affect the whole thing.

I know you want to keep it simple but not always the case I have see that situatuon before and it will be much wiser and safer just run new circuit and with proper 4 conductor set up.

I know some area is very easy to do it and some are not.

If you have unfinshed basement or crawlspace use that to run the new circuit.

Most stove will use either 40 or 50 amp Breaker with 16mm˛ { #6 AWG } cable or conductor the stove receptale and plug/cord is set up for both 40 and 50 amp circuits. { if you use 10mm˛ (#8 AWG ) conductors you must use 40 amp breaker not the 50 amp breaker )

If you have more question just holler one of us will help ya.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #6

Ok so I'll go with 40 amp and 8 awg wire? Also I have some breakers in my electrical box that are not being used can I change it to 40 amps and use one of them run the 8 awg wire towRds the other side of the house and connect the cooking range? The range has a red,black and green wire on it thank!!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Electrician

No problem to take out unused breakers and put in what you need. With your setup you won't be needing the neutral(white wire) for your stove. I have never seen 8/2 before so you will have to run 8/3. When you install this do not cut the white wire off, leave it long both at the panel and at the stove loaction and put a marrette on them. You never know in the future you may need to change that stove out to one that requires the neutral.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #8

On the cooking range I meant that it has three wires. One is blk one is red and the other is green srry if I confused you but in my panel box there is a breaker fir the stove that's in my kitchen I'm assuming I can install the new breaker similar to that one and just run the wires to the range