Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Adding GFCI receptacle outdoors

I recently wired and installed outdoor flood lights and a 20 amp receptacle on the back of the house. Since I have about 15 feet of 12-3 MC cable and conduit remaining I'd like to add another receptacle down the line.

I want to make sure I wire through the upline receptacle correctly for the GFCI protection.

I have 12-3 coming into the upline receptacle from inside the house where I have a switch controlling the floods (black hot wire). The red hot wire bypasses the switch and connects into the line port of the GFCI receptacle. The neutral wire also connects into the line side of the outlet. A black hot wire comes into the receptacle but bypasses the outlet and continues out to power the floods. The neutral comes out the line port and continues on to the floods. The red wire is not currently connected on the downside of the receptacle.

I want to make the red wire hot again and use it to feed the second receptacle I would like to install. Should I connect the red wire out of the line port of the first receptacle or should I splice into the red line before it comes into the line port and run it through the load port? What is the proper way to do this?

Also, if I need a few more feet of wire do I need MC or will any insulated 12 guage do, I will be running through 1/2" sch. 40 pvc conduit along the side of my house and under the eave.

Last edited by Dale Gribble; 03-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Dale Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

You must connect it to the line side. If you try and use the LOAD side the neutral will put it out of balance and trip the GFCI.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #3

Thanks. Will do.
Dale Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote