Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Adding GFCI Breaker to Ground Outlets??

Hey Everyone,

I have a house with full rooms of two prong outlets that exist on the same breakers. I was told by a local home improvement teacher that if I replace the breaker with a GFCI breaker of the same size I can safely put in three prong outlets. Want to check and see if they were telling me the truth?

Thanks.

joerunner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Do a search on here. This is a subject that has been beaten to death, more than the proverbial dead horse.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Question

I didn't find anything on whether it is safe to replace a regular breaker with GFCI breaker and then switch outlets to three prong. All I get is trading out two prong for GFCI outlets. If you would be so kind to answer this question again in this post it would be appreicated. Thank You.
joerunner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

First thing is, what panel do you have, and what is the age of the wiring that is in the structure already? Also, is it BX, Knob & Tube, Romex, Aluminum wiring? The only way to give you a proper answer on the breaker swap, is more info. In theory, the breaker would work the same as the outlet, but not as good, as if there was a ground in the circuit.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

you can legally put a 3 prong receptacle on circuit with no ground if it is gfci protected and you label the receptacles "no equipment ground." This isnt as safe as having a ground, but it is a legal, code compliant installation
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
you can legally put a 3 prong receptacle on circuit with no ground if it is gfci protected and you label the receptacles "no equipment ground." This isnt as safe as having a ground, but it is a legal, code compliant installation
Right! They need to be labeled "no equipment ground".
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerunner2 View Post
I didn't find anything on whether it is safe to replace a regular breaker with GFCI breaker and then switch outlets to three prong. All I get is trading out two prong for GFCI outlets. If you would be so kind to answer this question again in this post it would be appreicated. Thank You.
It's an identical solution. You will probably find that it's cheaper and easier to just replace the first receptacle on each circuit with a GFCI instead of using GFCI breakers, though.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
It's an identical solution. You will probably find that it's cheaper and easier to just replace the first receptacle on each circuit with a GFCI instead of using GFCI breakers, though.
If you know where the first receptacle is. Older homes it may hit a light switch then 3 junction boxes then branch out to receptacles from there
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 154

Are you sure your boxes aren't grounded? Many times the ground wire was terminated at the box somewhere since it wasn't used when the wiring was installed. Get a tester and see if the box itself is grounded, and you can just install a jumper cable from the outlet to the box.
matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,434

Using a GFI breaker or receptacle does not add a ground to a receptacle. It only allows 3 hole receptacles to be installed on ungrounded circuits.

jimmy21 (11-12-2011)