Adding External Wall Sconces To Attached Unfinished Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding external wall sconces to attached unfinished garage

Hi there,

I'm planning on adding two external wall sconces (lights), one on either side of the garage door in my unfinished attached garage, to light up the driveway at night. There are existing security lights not too far from where the sconces will go (facing different directions), so it shouldn't be particularly difficult to run new wire from these lights to the new sconces.

However...

I spoke with an electrician about doing this job, and he indicated that I would need to cover up some of the wiring with drywall - there's some wiring for switches and outlets that the previous owner had installed, the basic pattern is that the wire runs down from the top plate of the wall and along the inside of a stud into an outlet box, and this wire needs to be covered up. I had never heard of this requirement, and it could very well be a local requirement. I can understand if, say, I'm running wire perpendicular to and through studs, but I'm uncertain if this applies in my situation.

Would anyone happen to know if this is truly the case, or since the garage is unfinished, can I just keep the wires exposed (provided they're routed and fastened properly for an unfinished garage space)?

Also, any general tips and best practices for how to properly run wire in an unfinished garage?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Advertisement

FremontJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJoe
Hi there,

I'm planning on adding two external wall sconces (lights), one on either side of the garage door in my unfinished attached garage, to light up the driveway at night. There are existing security lights not too far from where the sconces will go (facing different directions), so it shouldn't be particularly difficult to run new wire from these lights to the new sconces.

However...

I spoke with an electrician about doing this job, and he indicated that I would need to cover up some of the wiring with drywall - there's some wiring for switches and outlets that the previous owner had installed, the basic pattern is that the wire runs down from the top plate of the wall and along the inside of a stud into an outlet box, and this wire needs to be covered up. I had never heard of this requirement, and it could very well be a local requirement. I can understand if, say, I'm running wire perpendicular to and through studs, but I'm uncertain if this applies in my situation.

Would anyone happen to know if this is truly the case, or since the garage is unfinished, can I just keep the wires exposed (provided they're routed and fastened properly for an unfinished garage space)?

Also, any general tips and best practices for how to properly run wire in an unfinished garage?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
We just had 2 threads about garage wiring take a look.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,570

The requirement is to protect the cable from damage. Drywall is one way since the cable will no longer be exposed to damage. There are other ways including sleeving it in conduit for protection.