Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Wal

Rewards Points: 10

Adding electricity for a 53 amp welder, receptacles and lighting in a detached garage

I am laying rigid conduit from the main panel in my attached garage to a subpanel in a detached garage about 40 feet away. I want to wire this system for a 53 amp welder, two 120 receptacles for work tools, overhead lighting and garage door openier. I would like to know what size breaker should I use in the main panel, what size breaker for the welder circuit in the subpanel, what size copper (or aluminum) wire to run in the conduit, whether the wires can be individual conductors or have to be sheathed together. Finally, I was wondering if I could run the wires in the main panel back through the same hole through which the main service wires run (saving another hole in my brick wall).

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Wal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Adding electricity for a 53 amp welder, receptacles and lighting in a detached garage

1. depends on what you actually need
2. depends on the welder
3. see #1
4. individual is easier
5. depends where the main disconnect is and the size of the conduit and what wires are already in the conduit.

the first thing; you say a 53 amp welder. where are you getting this 53 amps? Can you list or even better, post a picture of the information in the data tag of the welder?

second; the main service wires in the conduit; where is the main disconnect for your house? If it is in the panel those wires run to, no, you cannot use that conduit. If the disco is at the meter; what size wire and conduit do you have?

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Wal

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for answering my post.

The main disconnect to my house is on the inside wall of my attached garage. It is 150 amp. On the other side of the wall is the electric company meter. Forty feet from there is my detached garage.

I am installing a 1 1/4 inch rigid conduit from the main disconnect to a new subpanel in my detached garage (It does not currently have electricity). Only the one set of wires for the subpanel will run in this conduit.

I need to know what size breaker should I use in the main panel and in the subpanel for this circuit. Also the wire size (both copper and aluminum).

The picture I was trying to attach of the welder was too big. Here is the info stenciled on the front of the welder: Welding range 20-235 amp, Primary input 230 V. A/C - 53 amp A/C, single phase, 60 hz.

I thought it would be easier if I could run the wires from the main panel back through the hole where the electric company wires come in through the wall and from there out of the meter box and into my 1 1/4 inch conduit -- but only if allowed by the code. The electric company wires are 4/0 AL from the transformer to my meter and from the meter to my main panel a 2/0 AL.

Thanks
Wal is offline   Reply With Quote