Adding An Electrical Outlet In Garage Ceiling - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding an Electrical Outlet in garage Ceiling

I am installing an electrical outlet in the ceiling of my garage for a TV. The hole is cutout already for a slip in box. I have access to the garage attic via a pull down ladder and there is lots of head room to work. There is romax wire laying on the 2X4 just a couple of feet away and I believe this wire goes down to the wall receptacle (s). How do I tap into this wire? Do I cut it, then splice? and route it to my new box? Do I have to add a junction box?
I can follow the black and white and copper wires but my dilemma is attaching and wiring properly from this wire over to the new box in the ceiling. Thank You, Wayne

Advertisement

myworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #2

You can do that but you need 2 accessable j-boxes. When you cut the romex, please make sure its off. The wire will be too short to add a third romex. Cut the romex and make sure you have plenty of cable in each box, then you can extend your romex from box to box, then you can add a 3rd cable from one of these boxes to your new one. Your j-box can be plastic with a blank cover. Make sure you twist your wires and dont let the wirenut do it for you.

Advertisement

patriot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Make sure the cable is going to the receptical.

Cut the cable so one end will reach into the ceiling box.

Run the same type of cable from the ceiling box to a junction box in the attic at the cut point. Make your connections tight and put a cover on the junction box.

Use plastic boxes.

I'd tell you to turn off the power and test it before cutting it but if you don't know that much, Darwin will take over
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the tips and I'll make sure the electric is off. Wayne
myworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote