Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Share |

Adding a duplex outlet

Appreciate the help I have received in relocating my washer/dryer. Electricals went smoothly.

Now the final project: I must add a duplex outlet in the bathroom where the vanity is going. Currently there is one outlet on opposite wall( not GFIC!). I removed plate and there are two whites and two blacks as well as ground. I was hoping for an open screw for the new white and black but no such luck. I really do not want to remove all the wall to trace wires. Is it OK to just add a new white and black under a screw on the existing duplex to run my new duplex? In other words I would have two whites and two blacks under each screw on one side of existing duplex and one white one black on the other side.

I have done a search and it is suggested I trace the circuit until I come to the "last" duplex which should have a vacant set of terminals for my new wiring but as I mentioned there is only one duplex in the bathroom at this time and I have no idea where the wires run to other than they disappear into the cinder block. Oh yes I will replace the duplex with GFIC per code

Thanks

drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #2

Adding a duplex outlet

You can't have more than one wire under any screw. You will need to create pigtails and connect the wires with a wire nut. The GFCI outlets I use have backwire connections that allow you to connect two wires to the same terminal. When you tighten the screw the wires are secured. This is different than backstab or quickwire which aren't as effective at keeping the wire in place. So you might just want to use the LINE terminals for your existing wires and put your new duplex on the LOAD side. You wouldn't have to create pigtails and you would leave whatever existing outlet was downstream independent of the GFCI. You can then use a regular outlet for the new receptacle as it will be GFCI protected. Also put a sticker on it that comes in the box that says GFCI protected.

clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Adding a duplex outlet

Like clydesdale said, "pigtailing" is the correct alternative for two wires under a single screw. If you do end up needing to do this, here's a picture:

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #4

Adding a duplex outlet

Appreciate your responses. I assume all pigtails must be in a junction box? Im thinking that the bathroom is small so I may just wire nut the existing together in a box and run for one duplex over vanity in other words eliminate the duplex by the door as I never use it. Interesting but I wondered where the power went from the existing duplex after trial and error I found that it runs to a closet light in master? Crazy and I believe not up to code(doesn't bathroom require its own circuit?) but I do not see changing it at this point. Oh yes panel labeled all wrong as well. The joys of home ownership.
drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #5

Adding a duplex outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay9051
Appreciate your responses. I assume all pigtails must be in a junction box? Im thinking that the bathroom is small so I may just wire nut the existing together in a box and run for one duplex over vanity in other words eliminate the duplex by the door as I never use it. Interesting but I wondered where the power went from the existing duplex after trial and error I found that it runs to a closet light in master? Crazy and I believe not up to code(doesn't bathroom require its own circuit?) but I do not see changing it at this point. Oh yes panel labeled all wrong as well. The joys of home ownership.
All pigtails must be in an accessible junction box. Also GFCI's take up quite a bit of room and you may have a very small box. They make slimline versions to make it easier but you may not have enough space by code for the three wires. Bathroom outlets should be dedicated to bathroom circuits and be 20 amp 12awg wiring. Your bathroom may have been done when this was not required by code.
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Adding a duplex outlet

Since you are installing a new receptacle it should meet the code requirement for a 20 amp circuit to serve the bathroom receptacle. It should not be added from another rooms circuit.