Adding Circuits To My 200 Amp Service - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adding circuits to my 200 amp service

Hi,
I am in process of adding a 100 amp sub panel to my attached garage. I have the wires pulled from my 200 amp service to the 100 amp lug panel but not connected at the 200 amp service. I am clear for most part on connections at the sub panel.
I was going to get electrician to connect my pulled wires to panels but as i progressed and read more and more decided to tackle cautiosly myself. I still may get my electricain to come over before using to look at but want to do majority myself and get good understanding of what needs to be done if i have someone else complete
1)First question is the "bonding screw" in my 100 amp sub/lug panel. i assume that is needed as my 200 amp main panel has neutral/ground attached together(bonded?).
2)In my 200 amp main (siemens) there are still 8 breaker spaces but all but 4 neutrals are filled. Is there a "add on" neatral bar i can purchase?It looks like panel has provisons for this or do i need one longer strip? How does this connect? What is its real name? Reason i need more is i have 1 circuit for garage (2/2/2/4) 100 amp, and 3 circuits for lights and outlets in basement i ran 2 years ago and never hooked up to panel. Was waiting to get electrician for that too. so i need 4 neutrals and 4 grounds on the strip
3)regarding neutral connection, existing has neutrals and grounds to same strip. The neutral and ground each occupy a space. I would guess thats the right way, but can they be doubled up? Neutral and ground in same space?
4)also for the #2 neutral for the 100 amp sub, is there some kind of adapter to go from the small size terminals to the #2 size? There is a existing 100 amp sub for generator switching panel that has something similar.It looks like it takes 2 small spaces on terminal strip and adapts to one for the larger wire size. Whats that called?
5) whats the "paste" called that should be used on the aluminum 2/2/2/4 connections? I see the original electricain used this on the incoming service. Does it get used on all connections involving the aluminum wire?
Thanks!
Ryan

Advertisement

Last edited by ssscamaro; 01-19-2009 at 04:58 PM.
ssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

1) No the bonding screw isn't used, your grounds and neutrals need to be separated.
2)You can probably add a couple tandems for some new light/receptacle circuits.
3) Double up on the grounds (same size) but leave the neutrals one on one.
4) Most are just called "add on lug kits"
5) Noalox is what Ideal calls it.

Advertisement

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

A nice picture of you open panel would also be a big help.
integlikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks,
i was just reading through a bunch of old posts. I can double up the grounds but not neutrals, which can easily give me enough space.
Is the "add on lug kit" what i need to go from the small lug size on the main panel neutral( looks like maybe #6) to the #2 i need to connect?
The noalox goes on all AL connections including connections of hots at the breakers treminals correct?

Ryan
ssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
DIY

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssscamaro View Post
Is the "add on lug kit" what i need to go from the small lug size on the main panel neutral( looks like maybe #6) to the #2 i need to connect?
Yep. It should screw on to the top of the bar using one of the existing neutral/ground screw holes.
gp_wa is offline   Reply With Quote