Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Adding a circuit to a drywalled garage

Hi All -

I'm looking to add some outlets in the garage (currently have only one) for my workshop. At most, I'll be using a 13 amp table saw and 11 amp shop vac simultaneously.

I had an electrician come out for an estimate and while it was a fair price, I want to do this myself to build some confidence.

A few questions: he said they would probably add 2 15 amp circuits to handle the load. Is that necessary? Or can I add say one 30 amp circuit?

2nd: my garage is drywalled (and insulated). It will be much easier to have the outlets (and wire) on the exterior of the wall. What would be the best materials for this? My breaker is located in the garage and the outlets would run directly out from the side as seen in my poor illustration.

Since it is set into the wall, I'll have to run the wire from the breaker into the back of the first box. Is that as simple as it sounds, or is there something that I am missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Cameron
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a circuit to a drywalled garage-breaker.jpg  

csm0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 48

Why not make it simple and just add one of these pluged into the outlet you have now?
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...ip-648574.aspx

If you used a 30 amp. breaker to protect a 15 amp. circut all the wires would have melted and the device distroyed before the breaker would trip.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

The problem is that the existing outlet is on the opposite side of the garage and on a 15 amp circuit along with the garage door opener I think.

Even if it were on the correct size, using a 11 amp shop vac and 13 amp table saw at the same time would trip it, right?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 48

Is there a breaker box in the garage with empty spaces? How many amp's is the main breaker?
What size wire is feeding the panel?
Some of the many reason you may be better off hiring that guy to do this for you.
He can do a load calulation and figure out all this for you to make sure nothing trips.

Time and time again I see where a home owner has a garage built and thinks well I'll save some money on wire because all I need is one outlet and one for the door opener. Then does exactly what your trying to do. Add outlets, run power equipment.
The problum is if the incoming wire is under sized for the loads or they installed to small a breaker box it can not be done without up grading.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

If you don't want to dig into the walls I'd just go surface mount boxes and use 1/2" EMT to connect it all together. Gives protection to wiring and easier than patching drywall. I don't imagine a few silver tubes of EMT will be a major detractor to the look of your garage.

I'd wire in an new double pole 15A breaker and run three wires in the conduit. Neutral, phase A and phase B. You'll need two GFCI's, one to protect outlets and downstream for each phase.

Last edited by curiousB; 04-17-2012 at 09:58 AM.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #6

The main breaker is in the garage. Plenty of open spaces. 200 amp.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

I have to disagree with Joe. I would give little to no consideration to the house amp draw. A couple 20 amp circuits to the garage are in order regardless of panel size.* We use breakers for this reason.

csm..........You cannot pull a 30 amp circuit for the loads you describe. Do not let the electrician pull any 15 amp circuits to the garage either. Go with 20 amp breakers and number 12 wire. Open your panel box from where you are to derive the power and see how many blank (un-used) breaker slots you have remaining. Each slot can provide one maybe two circuits. This depends on the panel.
Then all you have to do is fish the cable or run conduit from this panel to the garage, and install the receptacles where you want them. There is no limit on the receptacles. You are supposed to GFCI protect all garage receptacles.
This is one of the easier jobs and is a great DIY project. Consider using EMT conduit and metal boxes surfaced mounted to the drywall. Make sure you hit framing members (stud) when screwing in straps and boxes.
You can also install the receptacles recessed into the wall like in your house. Very easy also if the top plate in your garage walls are accessible. You can use cable if you go this way. Just drop cables down into the wall and install old work boxes.

* Sometimes panels are old and unsafe. These problems should be addressed before messing around with the panel. This could be dangerous. So be careful and ask for help if you need it.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm0017 View Post
The main breaker is in the garage. Plenty of open spaces. 200 amp.
Sounds like a very good job for you to do yourself. Take a look at other applications like yours and see what method you like and get started installing. Come back for any more help you need. Have fun and be safe.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
zappa (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice J.V.

This afternoon I'll be planning everything out and marking outlet (and stud) locations. Seems to be best to add two 20 amp circuits. One with only 1 receptacle specific to a shop vac, and one with maybe 3 boxes for various power tools.

For the line running from the breaker box to the first receptable, can this just be run directly through a small hole in the drywall to the back of the box? I assume I'll need one of those metal clamps to hold it in place right?

Regarding GFCI, easier/cheaper to use GFCI breakers or GFCI outlets?

Forgive me if my terminology isn't correct. Still learning .
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a circuit to a drywalled garage-breaker.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm0017 View Post
For the line running from the breaker box to the first receptable, can this just be run directly through a small hole in the drywall to the back of the box? I assume I'll need one of those metal clamps to hold it in place right?

Thats what we did. Route romex through the wall studs, mount your box and use a NM-connector on one of the knockouts on the rear of the box to bring the romex into the it.

I showed how the romexz is run behind the drywall with the orange line on the picture. You would then run the EMT from this box to other areas.

Last edited by Minus08; 03-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Minus08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #11

Thanks Minus. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

I have that same compressor and nailer BTW, $59 Black Friday special!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus08 View Post
Thats what we did. Route romex through the wall studs, mount your box and use a NM-connector on one of the knockouts on the rear of the box to bring the romex into the it.

I showed how the romexz is run behind the drywall with the orange line on the picture. You would then run the EMT from this box to other areas.
That junction box needs a cover on it....
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
That junction box needs a cover on it....
Cmon sublime. Dont you think maybe the photo was taken before we finished up??
Minus08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus08

Cmon sublime. Dont you think maybe the photo was taken before we finished up??
Yes I do.
That's why I be whistling.......
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #15

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus08 View Post

So how did you get the cable clamp in the top of your panel without knocking a hole in the drywall?

BBWolf is offline   Reply With Quote