Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #1

Share |

Adding a circuit

I raised the cabinets in my Kitchen and instead of having a vent hood over my cooktop I put in a 1100watt Microwave. I also replaced the lighting in my Kitchen (was a ceiling fan w/light) and another 2 bulb light. I replaced with 4 small can light(s) and 2 larger can lights.

When using the microwave any lights that are on dim. Also, when using the microwave for a longer period of time (5 minutes or so) you can start to smell a burning smell. over in my dining room. The circuit has tripped twice now and from there I have determine that there seems to be more on that circuit than I realized. It seems that alot of outlets, lights in ALL of the rooms in the house are on that circuit (15amp)

It has been advised to put the microwave on its own circuit, however I have no extra space in my panel.

I do have a crawlspace beneath as well as attic space above where I can get at the wire, however the panel is in the laundry room and the walls are finished.

Looking for advice on what to do. I have a PDF attached of how my panel is laid out.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FuseBox.pdf (17.9 KB, 57 views)

mholmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Adding a circuit

I would first check all the outlets for loose connections. A burning smell means a loose connection, means a fire waiting to happen. An 1100 watt micro and a couple of can lights should work on the 15 amp breaker. What other loads go out when the breaker trips?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #3

Adding a circuit

It seems that all of the ceiling fans(w/lights) in 4 rooms go out, plus some outlets in the back bedroom.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Adding a circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I would first check all the outlets for loose connections. A burning smell means a loose connection, means a fire waiting to happen. An 1100 watt micro and a couple of can lights should work on the 15 amp breaker. What other loads go out when the breaker trips?
I agree. 1st and foremost, the cause of that burning smell needs to be located. That is not good.

The microwave needs it's own circuit, but find that loose connection first!
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Adding a circuit

Is that a breaker box? Are those all tandems? (I mean all the smaller ones at the bottom)

What is the service rated? What do all of the other breakers feed?
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Adding a circuit

I think we are looking at a split bus pushmatic. The 60 is powering the lower half of the panel where the 120 volt stuff is. Those are all tandems below the 6 double poles. Can't be positive but sure looks like it.

At anyrate the circuit is obviously overloaded... as said something has been getting real hot........best to find where thats been occurring.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #7

Adding a circuit

I did some more researching of everything last night.

Attached are some diagrams that may help. (1 of floor plan & 1 of fuse box, color coordinated)

there is only one outlet on the wall where the "Burning smell" seems to be coming from, and I am not finding a loose wire. However, the burning smell NEVER occurred in the year I have lived there, until I converted the vent hood into a microwave.

Once you look at the diagram I have some questions about the double switches. Can any of them be switched to a single switch of the same amp's. Also, I have one 20 AMP double that I have not determined what it is used for. The only thing I can think of is that it is for the Attic fan (Would that use a 20 amp dedicated and could I tie into that for the microwave)? Tying in there would be the easiest if it is safe to do.

I do not know what the service rating is, and would like to know how I can determine that?

I also do not know what is meant by a "tandem", can you please explain.

I have never done anything in the panel before, only done outlets, lights and stuff like that. (Never had to and this is my first house)

Thanks
Matt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrical.pdf (23.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf FuseBox.pdf (22.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #8

Adding a circuit

It just dawned on me while I was reading through some of the other threads that the 20 AMP breaker that I am not sure of may have gone to the AC out (240) that was in the Dining room. Before I bought the house an addition was put on and that window no longer went to the outside. That wire was cut at both ends, so I would have to check and see if can determine if that was were that went or not.

If that is the case, would I be able to pull out that 20 amp double and put in a single 20 amp breaker and run a dedicated wire to the microwave?

Thanks
Matt
Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Adding a circuit

Yes you can do that.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #10

Adding a circuit

DONE!!!

The 20 AMP circuit that I did not know what it went to, actually went nowhere. When I opened the panel it was completely disconnected. I also lucked out and there was already a hole drilled down from the attic all the way into the box that for some reason was no longer being used. Was able to purchase and install a 20 amp single 110 volt last night and some 12/2 romex and now have a microwave completely on its own circuit.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Adding a circuit

You are welcome. Thanks for posting back and letting us know thw outcome. That makes it worthwhile!