Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a branch circuit help

I am doing the electrical in my kitchen over. Like some remodel projects you sometime have to deal with strange or challenging situations to get a wire where you need it. I had to created a junction box just outside the circuit breaker where the 120 feed splits in two. Side A will feed just a single outlet. Side B will feed three outlets and a single pole switch to power two 60 watt lights. Side A looks easy it is a dead end outlet. My sequence on side B is where my question is. My plan is to power outlet 1 and then power the switch/lights from outlet 1 and to run power to the other two outlets from outlet 1. So outlet one is sort of used as an outlet and a jbox. I think I pig tail the black and white for outlets 2 and 3 on the top two screws of outlet 1. THis pigtailed connection then goes out to outlet 2 and 3. I then use the lower screws on outlet 1 to jump power to the light switch. On the light switch I connect the two whites and then the two black connect to the switch. The lights are wired to each other black to black white to white, grounds all around. Hope you can follow my mental map.

THanks for any feedback. BTW Outlet one 1 will be GFI, using 12/2 romex.

glover10604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #2

I may have misunderstood your description but it sounds like you're going from outlet one directly to both 2 and 3. That's not a good idea, especially if the circuit is GFI. Since the GFI outlet is in series with the other two, they are effectively all GFI. Is that what you want? If so, you should go from one to two and then from two to three. You may want to reconsider putting the lights on a GFI as well. If I read your "map" correctly, you're creating a situation where that GFI may be "popping" often.

steve_cvetetic@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

If these are the 2 required 20 amp small appliance circuits you cannot have lighting loads on them. Lighting would require another circuit.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #4

THanks, I do want all three to be gfi sinse these are all in the kitchen. THe load on the lights will be small since the two lights are decorative 60 to 80 watts combined so less then one amp. Will the lights tend to pop the gfi?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

If these are the small appliance circuits, lighting cannot be fed from them regardless of the wattage or whether they would trip the GFI.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #6

Ok I will find a way to feed from anonther lighing circuit to feed these. If somone did pull from the outlet circuit to feed the lights would that be unsafe, a code violation or just not recommended?

THanks again.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glover10604 View Post
If somone did pull from the outlet circuit to feed the lights would that be unsafe, a code violation or just not recommended?

I believe that only certain circuits can have outlets and lights, kitchen circuits should stay to kitchen outlets only. Other rooms (like B-rooms) can have the lights and outlets on the same circuit...correct me if im wrong, I don't have the nec 08 on hand.

Mostly its not recommended if you can, think of the amperage loss...
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #8

Thanks for this. The two lights are small. amps max on a dimmer so the amp loss will be minimal on a 20 amp breaker. But I will run a new circuit or tag into another light circuit from somewhere else.

I'm under control now. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glover10604 View Post
Thanks for all the help.

No problem, anytime you need it.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote