Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Share |

adding basement receptacles

Hello, in my basement it if half finished, half not. on the non finished side they did frame it out but did not run any electrical through there. My panel is full but there is a panel gfci right on the wall I want to add receptacles to. the only other thing on there is a doorbell transformer. are there any codes about these panel gfcis being by themselves our are they just there for convenience and I could tap into it? Thanks

frylock11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frylock11 View Post
Hello, in my basement it if half finished, half not. on the non finished side they did frame it out but did not run any electrical through there. My panel is full but there is a panel gfci right on the wall I want to add receptacles to. the only other thing on there is a doorbell transformer. are there any codes about these panel gfcis being by themselves our are they just there for convenience and I could tap into it? Thanks

You can tap it. Use the load side terminals.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Code05 is correct. tap into he GFCI. He specified you use the load side so that all the receptacles "down stream" from the first GFCI will be protected.
The only caveat is that if that first GFCI trips off then all the receptacles added to it will turn off. You would then have to reset the GCFI in order to restore power to them.

Hope that wasnt confusing...
socketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketman View Post
Code05 is correct. tap into he GFCI. He specified you use the load side so that all the receptacles "down stream" from the first GFCI will be protected.
The only caveat is that if that first GFCI trips off then all the receptacles added to it will turn off. You would then have to reset the GCFI in order to restore power to them.

Hope that wasnt confusing...
To be clear, the alternative would be to install separate GFCI receptacles at every location and feed them from the "line" terminals of the existing GFCI. Regardless of which method you use, all receptacles must be GFCI protected in an unfinished basement.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
Code05 (10-11-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

Thanks,I understand gfis so I'll definitely use the load side,I just wasn't sure if the panel receptacle had to be its own separate circuit.I have another question about nail plates. I think I remember seeing you need to be at last 1.25 inches from the edge of the stud otherwise you have to protect the wire. If I'm using furring strips that would make the drywall 2 inches from the wire do I still need the plates? I'll be sure to get box extenders to get them flush with the drywall, thanks.
frylock11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by frylock11 View Post
Thanks,I understand gfis so I'll definitely use the load side,I just wasn't sure if the panel receptacle had to be its own separate circuit.I have another question about nail plates. I think I remember seeing you need to be at last 1.25 inches from the edge of the stud otherwise you have to protect the wire. If I'm using furring strips that would make the drywall 2 inches from the wire do I still need the plates? I'll be sure to get box extenders to get them flush with the drywall, thanks.
The thickness of the drywall isn't the issue. The 1-1/4" rule refers to the face of the stud.

Excerpt from 300.4(A)(1):
...holes shall be bored so that the edge of the hole is not less than 32 mm (1 14 in.) from the nearest edge of the wood member.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote