Adding Additional Lights To My Basement - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding additional lights to my basement

I have attached a pdf showing the current layout of my basement lighting. I have 4 individual porcelain lights wired up and each one has its own switch (I numbered the switches and the lights). I would like to keep that arrangement other than replace the filament type bulb with a recessed led style light... in addition to adding two or three lights at each numbered location. So, in other words, I would like to turn on switch #1 and have 3 or four lights come on, likewise with #2, #3 & #4. How would I go about doing this properly? I also need to point out that all the lights are on the same circuit. To the best of my knowledge, there are (7) outlets upstairs (15 amp) and (2) lights upstairs on this same circuit.

The lights that I am interested in (if it means anything) are rated for 11 watts. Can I add the lights to the circuit without being concerned about the lights dimming or drawing to many amps? I would appreciate any input. To understand the diagram better, the thickest line is the white plastic line (14-2) that carries the white and black wire. The next thickest line is the black wire and the next is the white wire. I eliminated the ground for clarification.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf basement lights.pdf (65.2 KB, 42 views)

Advertisement

Last edited by Manger; 01-04-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Manger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

why do you want individual switches for each light? most switches can handle several lights. as for it being possible it shouldn't be a problem , but just a waste of materials.

Advertisement

circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

Hello circuitman,

The switches were set up that way because if I was on one side of the basement, I did not want the other lights on (wasting energy, etc). I realize that I am adding more lights and thus potentially using more energy, but hopefully the led lights will prove to be more efficient. As it is now, the basement is just too dark with the 4 lights. I have a dividing wall down the center of the basement making 2 large rooms basically. The other benefit in having multiple switches is to simply offer more options depending on the activity. If someone is watching tv on one side of the room and someone is reading on the other, the lights can be shut off in one area.

Now, what I would like to do instead of having each switch control one light, each switch would control a bank of 3 or 4 lights. I am just not sure how to do it correctly with my current wiring scheme.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 534

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=124
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manger View Post
I have attached a pdf showing the current layout of my basement lighting. I have 4 individual porcelain lights wired up and each one has its own switch (I numbered the switches and the lights). I would like to keep that arrangement other than replace the filament type bulb with a recessed led style light... in addition to adding two or three lights at each numbered location. So, in other words, I would like to turn on switch #1 and have 3 or four lights come on, likewise with #2, #3 & #4. How would I go about doing this properly? I also need to point out that all the lights are on the same circuit. To the best of my knowledge, there are (7) outlets upstairs (15 amp) and (2) lights upstairs on this same circuit.

The lights that I am interested in (if it means anything) are rated for 11 watts. Can I add the lights to the circuit without being concerned about the lights dimming or drawing to many amps? I would appreciate any input. To understand the diagram better, the thickest line is the white plastic line (14-2) that carries the white and black wire. The next thickest line is the black wire and the next is the white wire. I eliminated the ground for clarification.

can't do it that way ....

run the feed from the outlet to the switch/switchs first, jumping to each switch location then to the outlets ...then run your switch legs to the light locations from the switch ...

we normally do not use the outlet circuits to run the light .. it is seperated ...
Old 01-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 534

Is the breaker box in the basement?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
can't do it that way ....

run the feed from the outlet to the switch/switchs first, jumping to each switch location then to the outlets ...then run your switch legs to the light locations from the switch ...

we normally do not use the outlet circuits to run the light .. it is seperated ...
Thank you for your help guys! So it looks like what you are saying is that I need to run the feed wire from the outlet in my upstairs entry room to the switches, then a wire to each light (just like the diagram joecaption sent). Now then, it looks like the wires that come from my outlet in my upstairs living room that feeds the #2 and #4 lights can be wire nutted together..just so I don't have bare wires leading to nowhere. Or, I could remove the 2 leads from that same outlet and wire nut them together in the outlet box to cover the bare wires.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is the breaker box in the basement?
Yes it is.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Thank you for your help guys! So it looks like what you are saying is that I need to run the feed wire from the outlet in my upstairs entry room to the switches, then a wire to each light (just like the diagram joecaption sent). Now then, it looks like the wires that come from my outlet in my upstairs living room that feeds the #2 and #4 lights can be wire nutted together..just so I don't have bare wires leading to nowhere. Or, I could remove the 2 leads from that same outlet and wire nut them together in the outlet box to cover the bare wires.

disconnect them at the outlet upstairs ...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
disconnect them at the outlet upstairs ...
I do want to stress that the picture I show is what I currently have and it does work for the 4 lights. Out of curiosity, when you said it will not work, knowing very little about wiring myself, what did you mean that it will not work? Thank you for your help!
The Following User Says Thank You to Manger For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
I do want to stress that the picture I show is what I currently have and it does work for the 4 lights. Out of curiosity, when you said it will not work, knowing very little about wiring myself, what did you mean that it will not work? Thank you for your help!
Legally ... Code wise .. Inspection ..
Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #12

Gotcha! Just got done tearing out a small section of wall so I could run the feed line to the outlets. Think I'm moving along now.

Advertisement